440 headers installed

Started by MSN Member, March 27, 2009, 09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZR91

Sent: 6/3/2007

Well,
Most of the mechanical upgrades are complete.

Weiand intake
Edelbrock 750 cfm carb
Complete MSD ignition
NGK Iridium plugs
Hedman headers
Magnaflow mufflers
Electric fans

I am still going to install a Holley 110 gph mechanical fuel pump(#12-440-11), a B&M shift kit (#10227) next weekend. But I am really impressed how a few mods made this motor come alive.-It starts instantly, runs really smooth and has way more power.
I will do some empirical testing with my G-Tech pro this weekend and carefully record the MPG as well.
Regards,
Jay

Oz

Sent: 6/4/2007

Did you re-route any of your wiring or fuel lines?  Are those ceramic coated headers?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

Looking good.
Can you please post the part numbers of all those items? I am thinking of getting the intake and carb., and maybe the ignition. I'm sure others would be interested too.
thanks,
Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ZR91

Hi,
-no, they are not ceramic, and I didn't have to reroute anything. There is now better clearance around electrical/starter/fuel lines, and much cooler temps under the engine cover. Even without the factory heat shields the engine cover is barely warm to the touch.
Let me know if you need pics of anything specific.
Regards,
Jay

ZR91

Sent: 6/4/2007 9:45 PM

Hi Lefty,

Here are some part numbers:

Weiand intake # 8009 with FelPro #1611 intake gasket set
Edelbrock carb # 1411, 750cfm electric choke/economy calibration
Heddman headers # 79220, with FelPro#1414 exhaust gaskets
MSD coil #8202, MSD wires #31319
Accell cap&rotor #8320

Jay

Lefty

Sent: 6/5/2007

Great! That'll make it a lot easier to get the right parts.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

W0X0F

Sent: 6/6/2007

Jay,

Great work on the MODS.  I'm working along the same lines (But not as fast ).  You might want to think about a fuel pressure regulator to limit the amount of fuel pressure to your carb, if I remember correctly you don't want more than 7psi at the carb inlet (I think the stock pump is 4~5psi).  Keep  up the good work!

Herb

Mosin

I thought I was done installing a set of Hedman #79830 headers on Pandora's 440 (1976 D26RT Brave) but have now run into a small problem.    There is a persistent coolant drip from the second header bolt back on the passenger side. I am using the Stage 8 locking header bolts, torqued to 30 ft. lbs., with no sealant. None of the other bolts are leaking...yet! I haven't yet put on the bolt locks because I was going to wait to retorque after ~50 miles...another reason why I didn't want to use sealant. Has anyone else experiencd such a leak, and if so, what sealant worked for you? I'm thiking I'll ned to drive the 50 or so miles to break in the header gaskets (I'm using the supplied hedman gaskes with copper spray, as per their instructions and warranty requirements) then drain the coolant, apply thread sealer to the bolts, retorque, and then throw on the bolt locks. Sound logical?