Front end body overhaul?

Started by ctlongley, March 18, 2009, 12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctlongley

Hello all,

I am new to the forum (I bought my 72 Winnebago Indian this weekend and stumbled across the site) and have been reading as much as a can about a lot of the issues that seem to be the 'norm' with these RVs. Having said that, I am about to embark on a front end overhaul that I would like to get accomplished in one fell swoop as I would like to get my otherwise operable RV out onto the road and camping before summer time.

The front side wall on the passenger side has pulled loose, the window (driver's side) has cracked glass, wood rot below the window, the turn signals and some of the gauges don't work (the turn signals did for half of my trip from Oakland to Monterey this past Saturday), the windshield wipers don't work (I can hear the motors turn on and the blades attempt to move but to no avail), and the windshield glass shows fogging (which I have come to find out means moisture and they need to be replaced).

What I don't know, however, are some of the specifics for fixing each of the problems. I have several of these issues on other posts, but I am still lacking in some detail. If I missed a post, please direct me there - I know it can be annoying to retype what was already said. For brevity, let me break it down by each problem:

Side wall:
- Can this be done by removing the paneling, replacing the 2x4 which the dash screws into, and replacing the window framing with new plywood? Anyone done this and can give me any specific advice on any lessons learned or tips to keep in mind?

Driver side window glass and window stripping:
- I have heard the window frame can be pulled out (which needs to happen with the sidewall reconstruction) and pulled apart - anyone have an idea of what to replace the weather stripping in the windows? All of them need to be replaced in the RV.

Wiring in dashboard:
- Where can I get the schematics for what the wiring should look like? I imagine it has been modified, but I would like to restore to stock as best as possible.

Front windshield glass:
- Does anyone know the measurements for the glass? I have a 72 Indian Winnebago 23. I would like to be able to order the glass without having to remove the dash first to save lead time and the amount of time the front end is disassembled.

Motors for windshield wipers:
- I have no clue where to start from here. Any thoughts.

Sorry for the massive list - my time to work on the RV is limited to my breaks in between quarters (I am a student at the Naval Postgrad School), so I want to tackle as much as I can during my next break.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Carrick

Oz

Start by downloading the Dodge Chassis manual from the Tech Resources.  This has all the mechanics and schematics.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Point to point wiring information related to the Dodge chassis (ignition, marker/stop/turn lights, dash, etc.) will be in the Dodge MH Chassis manual.  The rest (heater, wiper/washer, generator,norm-dual/mom sw, etc.) were installed by Winnebago.  Finding the Winnebago wiring information is difficult.  Most people just track down one issue at a time.
For your remaining issues, use the search feature at the top of the page (i.e. enter windshield into the search field).

Dave
[move][/move]

ibdilbert01

I'm not very good at written descriptions, but here goes. 

On the inside drivers window (actually all inside windows) there are a series of screws that holds a ring against the window.   This ring is all that holds the window and frame on, except for maybe some silicone.  You'll want to have someone on the outside hold the window in place as you remove the window ring.   I do not know of a place to order the window seals, however I think pretty much any window / glass repair shop can match it up.   If you find someone who can mail order you seals, I would be interested.   

The paneling is glued to the wall.  Luckily most of the wall on the drivers side is Styrofoam and removing it should not be too hard.   Around the window is two layers of 3/4 plywood.  The front window screws to this plywood as well.   Also there is a 2x4 along the floor in the wall about floor height.   Yours is an Indian, and might have a different floor plan than mine. On mine the 2x4 was only long enough to reach the bathroom, the bathroom on mine is behind the drivers seat.   I think it was about 4 or 5 feet..  I pulled the trim off the front corner of the RV and separated the side so I could pull this 2x4 out (See second picture, its passenger side, but you'll get the idea), I was very lucky, it slid out with ease.     There was another 2x4 about dash height, and was very short, maybe a few feet, and the end of the dash screwed into that.    I replaced both 2x4s and glued them in place with Mr Nails. 

On my winnie, from the outside, about a foot and half up is a piece of trim.   This trim covers a series of wood screws that hold the sides to the floor.   Mine is a 72 like yours but on a 71 chassis.  So I can't be certain that yours will be put together like mine.   In fact, I think these things were put together so fast they all differ in some way or another.   I'm fairly certain the people who built mine forgot to use a tape measure.

You'll want to look through the pictures, some of the guys on here have really had their rigs pulled apart at times. 

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ctlongley

Thank you all for the responses - I downloaded the manuals and the pictures are great!
Anyway, I am going to attempt to get my front side back in line this weekend - thank you all for the help.