Onan 3000w won't start

Started by six_twenty_one, March 17, 2009, 08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

six_twenty_one

Hi all,

Finally got possesion of the 1982 SixTwentyOne & all is in fairly decent shape (have been working on roof & window seams to leak-proof 1st, will post pics soon.

Question to the more experienced as this is my 1st motorhome & the manuals are kinda` vague...
The Onan 3000w generator turns over but does not start when trying manually (oil was low which I brought back up to rim/seems like its not getting fuel).

The Minnie Winnie has an Aux. gas tank & the gas line from generator to carb connects to Aux-tank (gas-line hose is mounted up high on tank)...

Does the Aux tank have to be in use in order to supply the generator with gas?
or...  If the fuel in Aux tank is too low, I assume the generator won't get gas? (what`s the level in tank before cutting the gen off?).

PO said he ran aux tank one time but it fouled-up the carb & he had to change some fuel filters & forgot to ask him if it was ok to run Aux-tank.  Needless to say, I'm not sure how much gas is in Aux tank & somewhat afraid to switch tanks to check level because right now the motor seems to run heathly & don`t really want to foul up the carb in case there`s a bunch of gunk in tank..any suggestions?
Thanks!

ClydesdaleKevin

In general, you need at least 5 gallons in your aux tank for your genny to run.  This was a failsafe so you could get to a gas station if you ran it dry.

To issolate the system and troubleshoot, use a full 5 gallon gas can and connect a fuel hose from your genny's intake to the gas can and see if it runs.

Troubleshoot it from there.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

angrybreadbox73

also to check the level of the aux tank use a fexible dipstick to see how muthch gas u got
soo many bagos so little time

tiinytina

you may want to drain the aux tank if you don't know how old the gas is. If the PO said it fouled up the carb then it was probably nasty old gas....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

nikoj

In these times of expensive gas keeping the second tank full is a problem. On my 77 Chieftain the genny pick up was on the main tank, which makes more sense to me.  The tank pick up for the gen was above the engine pick up by I think a couple of inches. When I changed the fuel level sensor/fuel pick up assembly the gen pick up was in place. You may already have the pick up needed on your main tank.  Regarding the PO's comment on the filter being "fouled" you might want to have a look at the fuel filters in my album.  That was from my "good"/ main tank.  I removed the aux tank,  requiring  more fuel stops but I don't worry about a rusting second tank, needless to say that is not the solution for everyone.  The space is really useful for the rack I built for large deep cycle batteries. Hope you've resolved your problem.  Btw, POR15 works really well, if you should have a rusty tank.

Nick

rclifton

Probably have already checked but, when I picked up my new Chieftain I was surprised to see the generator had less than 100 original hours on it.  I was even more surprised that it didn't start lol.  It appeared mine was getting no fuel as well.  I disconnected the outlet going to the carb since it was easier to get to and verified that no fuel was getting to the carb.  My problem was after sitting for years the electric fuel pump was frozen.

I removed and soaked it in a pan with gas and about 1/4 bottle of sea foam for about an hour then moved the plastic pump part by hand, reassembled and it fired within 3 or 4 cranks.