Onan Generator starts manually, cranks but won't start not using dash switch

Started by dani147, March 17, 2009, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dani147

Sent: 8/14/2005

my onan generator a 1972 cut out it starts and runs but only in the manual mode when i try to start it from the dash it cranks over but like it has no spark can anyone help need prints or help very electric and electronically educated so lay it on me and save me some time

k0lde1

not sure if it's of help..

when i want to start my generator at teh genny istelf, i first flip
a switch to turn on the fuel pump, then i hit (and hold) the starter
until it runs.

the remote switch does both items at the same time..

*maybe* it has spark, but no gas?  ?

denisondc

My 72 Onan is a 2.7kw LK model, with about zero automatic features. There is a start switch on the case of the generator that I hold up to have it start - turned over by the 12 volt battery, and hold down to make it stop. There is another swtich next to it with 2 positions. One position is for when you are starting it with the switch, either the one on the generator case, or the remote one on the dash. The other position is used only for starting the genset motor by pulling it over with a rope. If I leave it in that "rope start" position, it wont fire when I push the button to have it turn over with the battery - either from the dashboard, or back on the case of the generator.

Daved27c

Sent: 8/15/2005

Dan;

What series generator do you have? If it is a series CCK, then I have the original owners manual & parts catalog. I can make copies and mail them to you.

Dave

Cakeman2253

I am also having problems, can you tell me where the stop relay is located? What does it look like? Where did you get the new part from? I have the onan 2.5 LK also in my 73.  I have pic's of mine in my gallery - cakeman2253. Thanks Bradley
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

robbielaw

I have a 5kw gen set in a 1976 Winnie. I Havant yet got the motor home itself running as its been sitting for 15 years. Whilst I am re building the carb on the motor home and getting all the sludge cleaned out I thought I would tackle the generator. There is no battery in the motor home it self for the engine but I put a battery on the other connections in the motor home. I have put the gas line for the gen set into a portable tank. I don't seem to be getting fuel. If I take the gas line off the generator and suck on the pipe I can draw gas from the portable tank. Just before the gas line goes into what looks like the fuel pump on the generator there is. Litte round thing in the gas line with two wires going to it and it assays on the side of it it is a shut off valve? If I use the switch on top of the generator it turns over fine, I have a spark but it does not seem to be pulling fuel. It also turns over if I use the switch in the dash in the motor one but does it fire. Should I have the main battery on the motor home? Is there another another switch I need switched on? I can see where the remote switch on the dash connects to the gen set can I disconnect them and just use the switch on top of the geb set?

DaveVA78Chieftain

First step is to ID the type of Generator you have.  Need the model number from the label plate (ie: 5.0CCK-3CR-12002R).  Need to know this information because Onan typically changed things though the years and you have to know what is installed in order to make a recommendation.

Dave
[move][/move]

ibdilbert01

Might be as simple as a faulty fuel pump too.   The little round thing your talking about is the fuel pump.   I would start by putting a meter on the power post on that pump and see if its getting power when your trying to turn it over.   

If it is getting power, then I would loosen the line on the top of the pump, try to turn it over and see if its pumping, if not, then its probably a faulty fuel pump.   

Thats about as far as we can troubleshoot w/out knowing the model number.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!