Everything Solar - All member topic

Started by MSN Member, March 16, 2009, 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightybooboo

YEA! Glad I was able to post in time.  ;)

tiinytina

all returned... was a bit confuddled at first because "SunForce" is actually out of Quebec.... but yes, alas, Made in China....  I'll start surfing ebay and craigslist for a used one in MD... and a trickle charger I can rig that shuts down once the batts are full up.

Thanks!! I love this club!!!
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

mightybooboo

Another Craigslist panel,Kyocera,supposed to pick up tonight at 7pm,hope guy comes thru and sells it to me as agreed upon....

Check out the price from the first post on this thread....

Sent: 9/16/2002

I can get a 50-watt panel with regulator for about $350.00,

-------------------------
Craigslist
Solar Panel and Pump - $65

Solar panel  45 watt output and pump is a sure-flo 2.8 g.p.m .12 volt dc both in excellent condition.the panel easily runs the pump in daylight.

DanD2Soon

Got my fingers crossed for ya BooBoo!

ibdilbert01

On my trip into MD a few weeks ago I got to test my setup.  I hadn't had a chance to run new gas lines so I ran my fridge on AC the whole time.  With 2 golf cart batteries I could get almost 12 hours runtime on the fridge.   This worked out perfectly, as it kept the fridge cold through the night, and traveling through the day my alternator could get my batteries charged for the next night.   The solar helped slow down the discharge process as well.   

Now my current configuration is 4, 6 volt 225ah golf cart batteries. Interesting enough  I can run my AC on full for about an hour and a half before the inverter shuts down.  Mainly curiosity made me try it. 

I had to lower my battery bay about 3 inches to accommodate the batteries, but I managed to fit all 4 and the chassis battery in the compartment.   

Its a fine configuration if I'm going to travel every day to charge my batteries, as 128 watts of solar is not enough to recover a deep cycle in one day.   So, back to the drawing table, I'll be adding some more panels, and welding up a nice little metal frame/rack to mount them on the roof.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

mightybooboo

Guy flaked out on me,oh well,I counted it too soon.

Sure do love solar though,its just the greatest.Our dream is offgrid property,water source,solar,wood stove and electric vehicle for our retirement years.

Good job Ibdilbert on your growing system,WTG!  :)clap

labbie1

Ok I am new at this so if I sound extremely uninformed its because I am.  we would like the freedom to not have to worry about hook-ups or a generator for our 1975 Indian but here is the catch my husband has a couple of health problems and we definately need enough power for the AC, fridge and a 110 line for his CPAP machine at night. The fridge definately needs to work for his medication, and the AC and CPAP go hand in hand. Without the AC he is unable to get a seal on his CPAP mask rendering the CPAP useless and since he has frequent periods of apnea (fancy term for he quits breathing in his sleep) it is extremely important that he has power. Our coach currently does not have either a generator or solar and while we like the idea of solar we definately have to make sure the power is there. Since either one is going to be an investment how about some feedback on the subject?

ibdilbert01

I'm a huge fan of solar, however if I had those medical conditions, I would buy a nice quiet generator.    

It takes a large bank of batteries just to run the AC over night, and then it takes a large amount of panels to charge that bank during the day, providing there is enough sun to charge them back up to full.   You'll also need a large enough solar controller to handle all the panels.  And, there needs to be enough roof space to mount all the panels needed to charge your batteries. 

On top of that, you have to have a large inverter, and your CPAP machine might require a PSW Inverter, those cost even more than a standard MSW Inverter.  

I think you'll find a nice quiet generator will be more reliable, easier to install and cheaper.

mightybooboo

agreed,you will need 20,000 worth of solar to run an AC reliably,ballpark estimate but it will be hugely expensive.

I vote for a super quiet honda or kawasaki genny and some 4000 watters MAY run an efficient AC.Run your refer on gas,or get a super efficient solar powered refer,1500 to 2500 range cost.

Genny is your answer,get a QUIET one,and a NAME BRAND and do it right,dont cheap out,dont get a construction type noise maker either,many places are very down on loud gennies.

mightybooboo

So we were talking about used solar,here's what I posted elsewhere on my latest score,WOOHOO... >>!!
----------------------------------
2 dollars a watt!!!

Yep,considering new is 4.35/watt best price I did good.They are Seimens and Kyocera,2 of the best made too!Thats about 3500.00 dollars of panels for 1420.00.
794 watts.
Very nice savings there.

Got off of Craigslist.

It puts me half way to my goal of 2000 watts worth.This is enough to power a freezer,TV and sat and a few lights.

4 of em were pretty dirty...

click to enlarge

They cleaned up darn nice though,this is what I wound up with.
794 watts includes the free broken glass 50 watt panel for 1420 dollars.

..........  :)clap

mightybooboo

Quote from: DanD2Soon on March 16, 2009, 08:42 AM
Sounds like a plan, Tim.  Curious about using the thin-film 64's instead of higher wattage conventionals.  Keep us posted & pictures!  We're all pulling for you.
The unisolars are hugely popular in areas with high heat because they actually perform better when they get hot ,the opposite of every other panel out there.
And their build quality is superb.

BTW,thats the same company,Ovonics,that developed the battery for the EV-1 electric car that had 140 mile range,bought out that division of Ovonics by GM,who sold it to the oil company that shelved the only successful NiMH battery for an electric car,never to be produced again.

mightybooboo

mightybooboo

Quote from: DanD2Soon on March 24, 2009, 12:35 PM
Here's is a good place to begin the solar homework - http://phrannie.org/phredex.html   
& caution, charging batteries give off poisonous and explosive fumes so if battery bank is inside the RV, the compartment Must Be well vented to the outside and well sealed from the inside

My friend Tioga George has his batteries inside the rig with never a hydrogen gas buildup problem,our RV's are FAR from airtight.

Of course,there is a theoretical risk....but HE hasnt had any problems.Take that with a grain of salt and measure your own risk quotient.

http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/

ibdilbert01

Oh wow!!!!   Thats going to make the perfect setup!   I'm starting to drool!   

ibdilbert01

Quote from: mightybooboo on June 29, 2009, 06:36 AM
The unisolars are hugely popular in areas with high heat because they actually perform better when they get hot ,the opposite of every other panel out there. And their build quality is superb.

I'm actually pleased with the unisolars performance.   I'm getting an average of 7 to 8 amps charge (Noon, Northern Ohio) on the two 64 watt panels, using the MPPT controller.  On cloudy days I've even seen it at 3 amps, I'm very amazed by the shade tolerance.  However their size is their neagative.    Almost 3 feet by 5 feet and only a 64 watt panel, not very good at all for an RV.  Eventually I want to supliment the panels with something as nice as your panels.   

Quote from: mightybooboo on June 29, 2009, 06:36 AMBTW,thats the same company,Ovonics,that developed the battery for the EV-1 electric car that had 140 mile range,bought out that division of Ovonics by GM,who sold it to the oil company that shelved the only successful NiMH battery for an electric car,never to be produced again.

Wow, thats really cool knowledge!  I had no idea!  I have a bit of a facination with green cars.  (Not that I'm grean, I'm just cheap).

Jay Leno has a 1913 Electric Baker car that came with origional Edison Batteries.  The origional Edison batteries are kinda cool, as they have an abnormally long life.  Long enough that Leno claims he can still charge and use his origional batteries.  The other cool quality of the battey was how fast you could charge them.   Pretty much as fast as you wanted too, as it didn't harm them.  Shopping places set up battery stations in NY back in the early 1900s so you could shop, and recharge your car.  A few of the Edison chargers would fast charge your car in as little as 45 mins.

mightybooboo

Yes,the batteries are one of the most fascinating parts of the renewable energy saga.

With the NiMh battery pack Ovonics was able to patent the SIZE of the pack,and nobody else could put together a battery pack large enough to power a car,then when the Oil Company got a hold of it they were able to squash it completely.

Also GM bankrolled Ovonics on its development,but it came from PUBLIC money from the governments Hi Tech auto initiative.So we paid for it,GM owned it,and ultimately became oil company property.OUR battery,amazing!!!!!Totally disgusts me how in bed our government is with the oil companies to the detriment of WE THE PEOPLE.Its just Traitorous IMO.

So when the next push came for electrics NiMh was a non entity and they had to go to a different tech,hence the LiIon development.And it does have an advantage on weight but theyve yet to prove it has anywhere near the proven lifespan of the NiMh  which had been real world tested in utility electric company's fleets of electric trucks out to 150,000 miles.

But for whatever reasons they dont have such narrow patents on LiIon that did in the NimH.Thats LiIons biggest selling point,they cant squish it like they did the NiMh.

As I ramble on though just think,these new super batteries are going to make it into our own solar /wind,hydro home systems before much longer and imagine the improvements that will make to our systems.

We live in truly technologically amazing times dont we?!

ibdilbert01

Quote from: mightybooboo on June 29, 2009, 02:19 PM
just think,these new super batteries are going to make it into our own solar /wind,hydro home systems...

And I can't wait, as my electric car is using 570 pounds of Lead Acid, and is only giving me 50 to 70 miles depending on how I drive it.   Not to mention draining them that low will shorten their life as well.   Storage technology seems to be on the brink of improving, and its been needing improvement for a long time. 

mightybooboo

Quote from: ibdilbert01 on June 29, 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm actually pleased with the unisolars performance.   I'm getting an average of 7 to 8 amps charge (Noon, Northern Ohio) on the two 64 watt panels, using the MPPT controller. 
Yup,Ive never heard from a Unisolar owner who didnt say just what you did,great product but large size.If I come across Unisolars on sale I will buy em.Im buying to set up an offgrid home system we eventually want to get.Imagine,you can shoot holes with bullets thru a unisolar and they keep right on working,amazing product!

I am MPPT controller too,I have a BlueSky (Formerly RV Power Products) 20 amp on the Winnie.They changed their name and moved into the home market,also a very good controller too.

mightybooboo

Quote from: ibdilbert01 on June 29, 2009, 02:46 PM
And I can't wait, as my electric car is using 570 pounds of Lead Acid, and is only giving me 50 to 70 miles depending on how I drive it.   Not to mention draining them that low will shorten their life as well.   Storage technology seems to be on the brink of improving, and its been needing improvement for a long time.
O WOW!!! Electric car is in my dreams wish list,thats going to be my retirement vehicle,charged on my own panels.

Would love a Chevy Volt!

Ever seen this AWESOME electric tractor? Does that thing rock or what!
http://www.brookssolar.com/news/electricTractor.html

http://www.flyingbeet.com/electricg/

ibdilbert01

Quote from: mightybooboo on June 29, 2009, 03:01 PM
Ever seen this AWESOME electric tractor? Does that thing rock or what!
http://www.brookssolar.com/news/electricTractor.html
http://www.flyingbeet.com/electricg/

Odly enough, the internet is looking smaller and smaller.   A guy where I work was at one time looking for an Allis-Chalmers tracter to attempt one of these conversions.   He had pulled up some of the sites and showed me the conversions.  Very cool!!!

My electric car is actually a 1976 CitiCar, made by Vanguard Sebring in florida.   A VERY tiny little car, nothing more than an over sized golf cart.

mightybooboo

Quote from: ibdilbert01 on June 29, 2009, 03:41 PM
Odly enough, the internet is looking smaller and smaller.   A guy where I work was at one time looking for an Allis-Chalmers tracter to attempt one of these conversions.   He had pulled up some of the sites and showed me the conversions.  Very cool!!!

My electric car is actually a 1976 CitiCar, made by Vanguard Sebring in florida.   A VERY tiny little car, nothing more than an over sized golf cart.
Yep,citicar came to mind when i read that,they are cool!

mightybooboo

Quote from: mightybooboo on June 29, 2009, 04:23 PM
Yep,citicar came to mind when i read that,they are cool!
I like the Gorilla ATV too,but expensive.Heard they stopped making em and sold the company?

mightybooboo

Hmmmm....panel guy with the 2 dollars a watt called again,he has 480 watts/6 panels more but they are multicrystallines and I prefer the mono's,not sure if I should take the sure thing and have 1500 watts towards the 2000 I want or should I hold out for mono's and risk losing out.

TOUGH decision,I'll let you all know what happens. Hm?

What do you folks think? Darn hard to pass up 2 dollars a watt!

mightybooboo

This is Tioga Georges in rig battery bank,a picture and a link to the story of his battery bank.

double click for maximum enlargement

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/deepcyclebattery.htm

ibdilbert01

Quote from: mightybooboo on June 30, 2009, 03:22 AM
What do you folks think? Darn hard to pass up 2 dollars a watt!

Thats a hard price to find, seems cheap to me.    I'm actually keeping  my eyes peeled for another Uni Solar 64, and a Uni Solar 32.     That would cover the back half of my RV.   Then somewhere on the front, I'd like to stick a higher wattage panel like what you have been buying, and a water panel.    I almost always end up parking  where the front of my rig gets the most sun.