Generator remote dash switch blows circuit fuse

Started by MSN Member, March 15, 2009, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonneauBago

Sent: 11/12/2003 

I need some help with the wiring of the dash switch for an Onan 4KW genset.  I replaced the switch on the dash and was very careful moving one wire at a time.  The switch was broken when I got the winnie.  The genset starts fine at the generator, but if I try to start if from the dash it blows the ignition ckt fuse.  Its a double pole, double throw switch wired as follows, looking at back of switch:

Top Right - Orange Wire
Center - Blue Ground wire (centers are jumpered together)
Bottom Right - Green Wire
Bottom Left - Red Wire

I have a wiring diagram, but its kind of hard to read.  Thanks.

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Daved27c

Sent: 11/12/2003

Mark;
My ONAN seems to be wired a little different than yours. I have a single poll double throw momentary contact switch. The switch has three settings. Up- momentary contact for starting, Center-running, and down-off. One thing you might want to check is if there is a switch on the generator itself for remote start. If you have this switch, and it is not in the remote position, than it would try to feed 24 volts to the unit and blow a fuse. Also is it blowing the fuse as soon as you plug the fuse in or only when you try to start it? If it blowing the fuse as soon as you plug it in than you probably have a wiring problem. Hope this helps.

Dave   

BonneauBago

Sent: 11/13/2003 

Problem Solved!!!  Turns out the Run Meter had a crack in it and was apparently shorting out, so everytime that I tried to start from the remote switch the ignition fuse on the genset would blow.  A couple hours of reading the Onan schematic and tracing wires . . . problem all gone.  Thanks for the input Dave.