Batteries won't start Generator

Started by MSN Member, March 15, 2009, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevellin

Sent: 5/14/2005 

1979 Chieftan M500 The coach batteries were down when I bought the rig. I flipped the switch over so the system would charge them up. All the lights working good, after about 15 or 20 minutes I switch back to park mode all lights still working. But the generator is not kicking over I guess the batteries need more charging. If I read the owners manual correctly the last thing you want to do is run the generator while in dual mode? You can burn out the alternator? Does this go for just cranking it over and starting it up as well? Any alternatives for cranking over the generator. I understand it gets its cranking juice from the coach batteries? Thanks

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 5/15/2005

Assuming that all your connections are clean, and your "Dual/ Mom" switch is working, you should have charged the house batteries enough to at least start the genset after 20 minutes with the vehicle alternator.

I would have the house batteries load tested to make sure that they are taking a charge.  It doesn't sound like they are taking a charge -- they will run the coach lights with just a "surface charge" for a half hour or so, so that really isn't an indication.

I doubt that you would burn out your alternator by running the genset with the "Dual" switch set to "Dual"; and if the ignition is off, that doesn't matter anyway -- that switch is only active when the ignition is switched on. 

The first thing I would do is check all of the connections in the charging system, as well as the main battery connection to the genset itself.  Pay special attention to the ground connection; our Winnies are notorious about bad grounding.

John

Sea Hag

Sent: 5/15/2005 .

I carry a rechargable jumper /12volt supply.  You can hook the positive cable directly to the gennny batt teminal connected to the selinoid on the genny and the negitve to the genny ground cable in the compartment.  You also should try to start it from the starter switch on the genny its self to eliminate a bad connection in the remote unit . Sea Hag 

Wendell

Sent: 5/16/2005

I had a similar problem.  I found it to be a faulty ground connection at the generator.  I removed the ground lug and cleaned the cable good, then I replaced the gound lug with a new one and cleaned up the place where the lug bolted to the frame to remove all the rust, etc. there.  Once I had everything there all bright and shiny again, it starts much easier.

Dirty connections just require much more current to get those electrons moving through the wire.  If your battery is somewhat weak, it just can't provide enough umph to get the genset turning over through the dirty connections.  The ground seems to be the one that is most commonly a problem.

kevellin

Sent: 5/18/2005

Thanks everyone I cleaned the terminals and she started right up. Did a load test on the coach batteries oddly enough they tested fine. Come next winter I'll take them out and give them a warm place in the garage, I have to admit now that I have this thing a winter vacation down south doesnt sound to bad.