Header Heat Shields for 440 and Plug Wire Protection

Started by Mosin, March 15, 2009, 04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mosin

Hello Again!

Next week I'm having a set of Hedman Elite headers (#79830) installed on Pandora's 440, and am wondering what types of boot angles and shields I'm going to need to assure that I don't cook the boots. My best guesstimate is 130 degree angle booots for #s 1,2,7,8 and 90 degree angle boots for #s 3,4,5,6. Does anyone have experience/s (i.e. tales of meltdown) to share? I am correct to assume the the stock heat shields do not fit with the headers? TIA!

Dave/Mosin

Froggy1936

Hi Dave, You can see the heat shields @ my photo gallery  (available at Advance auto parts) that i used on my Chev 350 when i installed headers . As for angle of plug connectors i used whichever gave the most clearance at each plug as necc . And any other wires in danger of heat  I had no problems after 6000 mi with these shields But they are expensive  @ $7.00 ea  Don't forget fuel & brake lines (shield from heat)  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Mosin

Quote from: Froggy1936 on March 15, 2009, 12:29 PM
You can see the heat shields @ my photo gallery  (available at Advance auto parts) that i used on my Chev 350 when i installed headers . As for angle of plug connectors i used whichever gave the most clearance at each plug as necc . And any other wires in danger of heat  I had no problems after 6000 mi with these shields But they are expensive  @ $7.00 ea  Don't forget fuel & brake lines (shield from heat)  Frank

Thanks for the tips Frank! I was planning on having to use something ~5x more expensive (link below) so I appreciate the lead!

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hp_boot.php  (overkill? At ~$40 ea, certainly killing the pocketbook!)

Oz

I installed MSD Superconductor Wires from Summit Racing.  They have adjustible plug boots and are well insulated (very low conductivity w/o interference with radio too!).

They are also just the right length longer than stock so they can be easily re-routed away from the hot spots.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

I used boots and plug wire shields from NAPA when I had my Chevy with headers... never burned a wire in over 70K miles.

The boots come in a 2pk, you'll need 4 packs.  The wire covering is the same type of material (extreme heat resistant fiberglass cloth) but comes in a roll that slides over your wire before you put the boots on. You can cut it to length for each wire depending on how far up the wire you need to go.
The brand is Belden, and should be listed in thier Belden Wire Products Catalog. I also used this same material to cover my fuel lines and starter wires where they were near the exhaust... made a big difference.

Done right, with good wire holders to route the wires, you should never have to replace them again.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...