Noisy Belts

Started by RayCameron, March 08, 2009, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayCameron

We had three belts changed a little over a month ago " preventative type stuff ". Now I've noticed that there seems to be more and more " and this is my technical description... rhhheee rhhheee rheeeeeeeee " that only goes away now when it is very warmed and moving. Only to return when slowing and accelerating. First noticed it was I was making a turn so thought maybe I needed some steering fluid as the power steering can be a bit stubborn sometimes. Any quick fixes like " and my mechanical ignorance is showing " soap on the belts??? I am thinking about calling up the place " king of the Road, here in Magnolia, Tx " and asking them if one of the belts needs adjusting. I have read that there are some problems with those belts on the 454... Oye..... Last time they had the motor home for just over a mouth but it had major Fuel issues that seem to be completely resolved and when the sound is not coming it seems to be working fine and charging batt's keeping cool " the AC does not work but I knew that and am debating having that fixed come spring time.  Thanks much in advance. Ray.

Froggy1936

Ray, It is normal for new belts to stretch very quickly and need an adj soon after installation  Then they should behave themselves for a wile. Depending on manufacturer of the belts  how often they will need adj. Also i have heard this engine is either hard on belts or it is hard to adj them I'm not sure which.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep...new belts stretch and need to be retightened after a while.  Tighten them up so that they have about a 1/2 inch of give if you push on them with your finger in the middle...hard enough so that your first finger pad bends backwards and your fingernail starts to turn white...lol!  In other words, make them tight, but not so tight that there is NO give.

Sometimes, especially when a shop does it and doesn't remove old glazing off the pulleys or even clean old grease on them, they will still slip even when tensioned correctly.  The solution is to remove the belts and clean the pulleys, and then reinstall and tighten the belts.

If the pulleys look clean and everything is tight and they still squeal, spray the belts with a good "belt dressing."  It comes in an aerosol can, and you spray the inside of the belts and the V-grooves in the pulleys with it while the engine is running.  The best belt dressing I've found is John Deere, and you can find it at any John Deere tractor place for about 5 bucks a can.  Its a little messy and the overspray will go flying, so wear safety goggles!!!  Its tar-like and sticky and sends spots of the nasty stuff flying in little droplets, so also cover your upholstery with something if you are doing it with your doghouse engine cover removed.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tiinytina

yuppers on all the replies. New belts stretch quickly... last 2 i've installed on my 2 other sets of wheels  both needed to be readjusted after a week or so... haven't had any issues with them on our 454...

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

RayCameron

thanks much for all the great replies. I had no idea this was just some stretching. I am going to call the shop that installed them " as I know nothing about doing it myself ". I hope it is something they can just do as a little insurance or just a nominal fee. Wish me luck. It is something I need to learn to do myself for certain.