Ceiling Carpet Sources?

Started by MSN Member, March 08, 2009, 01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1981 Chieftain Keith

Sent: 1/28/2005 

Hey girls and guys,

I am wanting to repair my roof and ceiling.  I have a plan for the roof - I think.  What I am looking for is that VERY short white carpet I see on so many trailer and motorhome ceilings.  Does anyone have a source?

Keith

Oz

Sent: 1/28/2005

That's a neat idea.  Now, I don't mean to "dampen" your idea, but, if you do get a leak somewhere, that carpet is going to soak it up like a sponge, spreading the damage and holding it in place longer (not to mention staining the carpet).  I've never tried to shampoo a carpet upside-down but, I think cleaning it would be a real pain as well?

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Slantsixness

Sent: 2/16/2005 

Keith,

I just happened to be looking through a fabric store tonight for upholstery for my winnie, and lo and behold!

"Hancock Fabrics" has the short "carpet" you are searching for. There should be a store near you. The ceiling carpet you're looking for has a water resistent backing and can even be glued up. It's also available in 8' widths, but as a special order. There are a variety of ceiling fabrics used in the RV industry. You might even check any fabric store, and then on to places like RVsurplus.
None of these fabrics are 'cheap' I will say that. And foam for my winnie has gone through the roof, too. almost cheaper to buy a foam matress and cut it to fit the front bunk and dinette!

Now my wife is back online looking for just the right fabric. Which means its gonna cost even more!

Tom <----has a new roof and ceiling
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

R-Bob

What I believe you are talking about is ozite. RV surplus out of Elkhart has it. I was able to purchase it locally for a little under $4 a running foot and it was 8' wide. There was someone else online who sells it but the name fails me. If you google ozite though, you'll find what you need. As far as glueing I highly recommend Weld bond Gel. I did three samples, one with regular weldbond one with the gel and the third with Sta-Bond E-183. The gel bonded far better than the other samples. I do not recommend the spray type adhesives such as 3M type 77.

tscopeland

Hi
do you have a source for this weld bond gel ?

thanks

R-Bob

Actually I do, do you have a Lowes nearby? Home Depot carried it, but only by the quart. I just happened to notice last week that the Lowes near us carried it in the gallon.

Two tips if I may?

1. Don't put it on too thick. Excess glue will not cure for days and can compromise the bond.
2. Let it set up to a dull appearance before applying.
3.When you lay out the ozite it needs to be right where you want it. The glue is not forgiving. It will not slide around if you make a misstep.