Advice needed on Replacement Generator for 72 D20

Started by MSN Member, March 07, 2009, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVLFNXS

Sent: 11/16/2003

Hey all, I am looking for a generator for my 72 D20.  What was stock?  What will work in there?  I am completely new at all of this.  Please email me at erikgatz@yahoo.com if you have advice, or an option for me.  Thanks all

Erik

denisondc

Sent: 11/16/2003

I imagine your winny would have come with what my 72 D22 has - an Onan 2.5 kw LK model. It weighs about 200 lbs, puts out 110v, was electric start, single cylinder, 1800 rpm, and air cooled. A fairly quiet unit. It used the engines battery for starting. Mine doesn't seem to have a 12v circuit for charging the battery that started it. Although Onan apparently still supplies parts, the unit is a little out of date. Thats if you wanted to stay original. The modern replacements would probably weigh almost as much, but put out lots more wattage. It is possible your winny didn't come with a generator at all - but if it has a genset space, the above model is what I think it would have had. Mine still works okay, draws its fuel from one of the RVs big gasoline tanks, and I think it uses about 1/2 gallon per hour, when powering the roof a.c. and the little Dometic refrigerator. Thats about all it is able to do though; it could never run a 2nd roof a.c. unit for instance, denison

Sea Hag

Sent: 11/17/2003

I see used Onans on ebay once in a while for around $ 300, probably as expensive to ship as to buy . I think are the best choice . as denison said they are fairly quiet and dependable . They are also designed to run in a contained space . You might try a junk yard if you can find one with some RV's Many manufactures installed them motor homes as well as trailers . There is a pic of mine in my Photo album . I've seen other rigs with   portable generators . Most have to be removed from the compartment to run them as they are not made to run in a confined compartment - not enough air to cool them or a good way to deal with exhaust .but they work .  ---- When you are camping self contained , most of your systems  run on 12 Volt , lights, water pump , ect.  . they run off a seperate battery than the engine . The refigerators usually run can on LP & 110 VAC .  You only need the generator mainly for the Roof Top A\C - when I run self contained I only use the Generator a couple of hours While cooking dinner and cleaning up as I use alot of  the systems at once then . and It rrecharges  the coach battery - You can run a long time on a good battery if you watch what you have on . ----- Sea Hag

LJ-TJ

Well Lauren and I just purchased a 5000 watter for $500.00 off eBbay ( Onan) which was a real nice unit.  We took the rig and went and picked it up which ment we installed it in the Winnie right there.  It is one of the best investments we ever made for the Winnie.  It makes life sooooo sweet.