Tires: replacements for 7 x 16

Started by MSN Member, March 06, 2009, 09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elwood

Sent: 5/10/2002

My wife and I just bought a 1969 d19 winnebago and I need four 7.00 x 16 Tires does anybody know where i can find some? Glad i found this site, and our winnie is in great shape! Will post pics as soon as I get some. Thanks, Elwood

AC-Craig

Sent: 6/24/2002

Elwood,

I just replaced four tires on my 69 D22. My fronts were still good bias ply so I put them in the inside rear, and put four new on. I used bias ply so all 6 were the same. My first problem was finding someone that would do the work because of the locking ring rims. I had the 4 put on with tubes and drove it home. The first was flat before I got home, and the second went flat in the driveway, after having them fixed (with new rims), the third went flat returning from a trip yesterday.
To make a long story short, this is what I learned,

1. Buy new rims, don't use the old locking rims. It will cost more up front, but it will save money if (when) you have a problem on the road. I bought two new tubless rims a week ago, so they are still available.

2. You will not find 7.00 x 16, but 7.50 x 16 will work. The wider tire will leave less room between the tires on the rears, so watch that. The bias stand straighter giving alittle more room between the tires on the rear duals.

3. To get the tires off, you must jack from the bumper so the axial will sag on the spring giving enough clearence in the wheel well.

Good luck