Kool Seal Roof Sealant

Started by Cooneytoones, February 28, 2009, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooneytoones

Sent: 11/19/2005

I did the roof on my rig with Kool Seal .......PO appied something to it that was just about impossible to get off. I think it may have been a fibered metal roof paint it was dessert tan in color and only used on the sides. After buying a five gallon bucket at the local Wal-mart..I first scrapped than cleaned the roof with dish soap (I used Palmolive, to keep my hands soft and subble)....scraped off any loose dirt grease and grime. washed and rinsed the roof two times and allowed to dry....then applied one coat to all the seams only, using a brush. I brushed it on fairly heavy, covering all the seams rivets, and places where where stuff protrudes through the roof ( vents, AC's x 2, front clearance lights, TV antenna, horns, etc.)  I let that dry for about 3 hours....on my 30 foot rig this took about 1 gallon  (I have lots of seams being my roof is not flat It is arched on the sides like a bus)....the roof is also stainless steel and wasn't too sure at first if the Kool Seal would even stick...I was lucky it stuck like glue....the weather conditions were perfect, sunny 77 degrees and about 15% humidity.  Then I used a heavy napp roller on a stick (to keep my back soft and subble) I did one coat let it dry overnight.....then did two more coats the next day under the same excellent weather conditions allowing about 3 hours between coats using the roller...I had to go back with the brush and do a little more on the sloped sides....I had several small leaks before applying the Kool Seal......if Iwas a little more energetic and had a few more dollars at the time I would have primed it with Koll Seal Primer.....but didn't.....The results were, temperature inside of rig dropped about 20 degrees on hot sunny days, and no more leaks......The rig has been on a 1000 mile trip since, we just had a storm which dropped 7 inches of rain in 1 hour, with winds in excess of 80 mph....and the Kool Seal is still on the roof just as white as the day it was applied, and inside, no sign of water except in the places it should be. I still have about 2 gallons of Kool Seal left from the original 5 gallons....I will do another coat in the spring of 2006.....I have used all types of metal roof paints and sealers..... I had a tin roof on my house, I have a metal roof on my barn, and have a mobile home on my property....I've used the fiberd roof paint for metal roofs, including Snow Seal....from cheep stuff to expensive and found that Kool Seal is the easiest to apply,
and so far,  in my opinion, is the best stuff you can find to do the job....imagine what a complete roof job, done correctly, using seam sealing tape, primer, elastabond membrane material and then a final topping of Kool Seal would do...if just using the Kool Seal did this for my rig....Kool Seal +

Timmy

tiinytina

Sent: 10/18/2006 2:18 PM

hi ho,
   So bought a gallon of Kool Seal to start with... says not for flat roofs??? From this site though it is the thing to use. next thing it says is to thoroughly wash the roof with TSP.... Since we are close to the Bay not going to do that so bought "TSP substitute"... Now after reading the label it ways not for shiny aluminum..... roof is not shiny, but at very bottom of label it says.... if splashed on aluminum or glass rinse immediately..... soooo....
   should I use the fake tsp? use Palmolive (have about 1.5 Costco gallons of that around here...)?
    Think I'll go ahead and start with the Palmolive (I like those soft and supple hands too cause after digging in dirt all day mine are like 100 grit sandpaper...)  Least its a start on the project....
    off to the rest of my "home-work" day...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Slantsixness

Sent: 10/18/2006 2:47 PM

Tina,
Use Acetone (67-64-1), throw away the gloves and rags you use to wipe the roof down with. The acetone will evaporate very quickly, and not get into the ground water or effect the Eco system. Use sparingly, and only on the rags you use to wash, don't pour it on the roof, as it will drain off the roof and down the side and take the paint with it!

Alternatively, use spic and span liquid or a phosphate based (dry) dishwasing detergent (not liquid!) but when ou do that, you do risk getting the phosphates into the ground water, which is not harmful in a small amount, but in a tidewater area (like I am) you have to be concerned with the ecology of added phosphates means.

I'm not an environmentalist ecologist, nor a chemist but I do think Acetone is the safest for the environment surrounding us, although not so safe for US! wear a mask and protective gloves and garments, and be sure NOT to wear a plastic painters suit or it will be goo (or melted to you)!

I use the Acetone myself. I think I still have all my brain cells... wear a mask, I do (usually but not always!).

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Oz

Sent: 10/18/2006

There are a few different kinds of Kool Seal out there and the cans do say what their use is for... and what they're not for, as you found out.  The kind you want is "elastomeric" and the can does say it's for aluminum and RV roofs, so it shouldn't be hard to find the right choice.

Cleaning doesn't really have to be done with special chemicals, although you certainly want to get the surface as clean as possible.   I washed mine with a grease cutter dish liquid soap and the Kool Seal adhered perfectly.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

Sent: 10/19/2006

drat, back to home depot I go then.... hopefully I can just do an even return as I bought the stuff months ago... taking back the fake tsp too.... Time to start reading labels and I thought that was only for the grocery store... oiy.  The stuff is in the RV at this point so need to make a rescue trip over to get it... maybe saturdays chore since it looks like we aren't taking her out for a final spin.... maybe next weekend.... House to-do list keeps getting longer and each day in the RV the todo list there grows as well....  Maybe I'll strip a few cabinet doors from her this weekend too!

T

tiinytina

Sent: 10/29/2006

ok, tackled the roof today. Scrub brush and a bucket of Simple Green diluted 1:5-8 or so.... like I measure such things.... Rinsed until no bubbles anywhere. Let dry... beautiful day, sunny, breeze, low humidity, mid 60's... ahhhh. Rollered and brushed on as I went. Used a bit over 1/2 gallon on my 28, roof only no sides etc. Looked aweful as the first layer is just really thin, could see the aluminum right through it basically. Popped coat 2 on and yea really nice. I didn't rebrush the seams as I put that first coat on heavy with the brush.

Looks fabulous. just about out of the first gallon will need another for 2 more coats.  yea.

Off to put my feeties up.
Tina