RV Toilet Paper

Started by MSN Member, February 14, 2009, 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 9/15/2007

This may sound like a stupid question to some of you, but as a new "full-timer" that is learning new things about old motor homes each and every day, I wonder if anyone has found a suitable household paper that will work in a coach.  True RV paper costs like $1 a roll while I can shop the wholesale clubs or grocery store sales where that same dollar can buy 4, 5 or 6 rolls.  I don't want to mess up my coach system or clog my sewer lines when I dump.  Until I hear from the "experts" I will continue to buy the Wally World RV paper.  Thanks for your help...

brians69d24

Sent: 9/15/2007

I read somewhere that you should test out paper by putting a square of it in a glass of water and it should dissolve in something like 30 seconds. I believe we're only supposed to be using single ply also......

brian

Cooneytoones

Sent: 9/17/2007

We use Regular ol' "SCOTT 1000 Sheets", (White).......stay away from colored and perfumed papers.......

Most folks get in trouble when there is not enough water in the black tank, the paper then dries to the sides of the tank and becomes rock solid.

On my rig, the bath sink, and shower drain into the black tank, this is not so on most rigs. The only thing going to the black tank in most is the toilet. Most flushes do not add enough water to the tank. So you can add some via a bucket about  2 to 3 gallons should be enough before the first use, or after a dump.  the idea is to keep it all floating. If I dump on the road, I'll buy a small bag of ice and dump the whole thing down the toilet after I dump... (removing the bag of course).... Then as you drive the ice chuncks break up the little solids stuck on the tank. The ice turns to water and you'll have enough water in the tank for starters.

When we dry camp, before leaving to dump the black tank, I add all the ice I have left over again if I feel there is not enough water in the tank.   

We also use a natural enzyme (for septic tanks) like RID-X... a box ($10) will last a couple of seasons or more depending on how much you use your rig's head.

Timmy

MSN Member

Sent: 9/18/2007

Thanks again for all of the greaaaaaaaaaaaat information. I am truly amazed that such a crappy subject brought such a good response. The chart from the escapees was especially helpful, as was all the other information about having enough water, use of ice, etc. THANKS GANG!!!

Cooneytoones

Sent: 9/19/2007

That's part of what this site is about.....Crappy Topic's (pun intended) like this, is what leads us to Great Funny Stories......especially where the black water tank is concerned, and anyone, I mean ANYONE... who's had dealings with a malfuntion in a black water tank will have a funny Story....

It's part of the fun in owning and caring for an aging Winniesaurus.

Timmy

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/19/2007

I know this kind of topic is what keeps me going.......................

bluebird

Sent: 9/20/2007

I too just use regular paper. I didn't want to give anyone the wrong info. I'm too cheap to go buy the expencive rv paper, just to flush it. But then again all my buddies call me a cheap sob. I'm NOT cheap, just thrifty.

Chuck

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 9/20/2007

I use the Thetford RV TP they sell at Wally World for 2 bucks for 4 rolls.  It dissolves quickly, and the last thing I want to do is have to unclog a poopy tank!  Ewwwwwwwwwwww!  Cheap enough too.  Since we just put in a new Thetford Style II toilet, it works even better...more water is used for a flush, and it keeps that notorious mountain of PoopAndPaper from building up right under the toilet ball valve.  Just always make sure you keep your blackwater tank valve closed until the tank is almost full...and then dump all at once...this allows the solids to dissolve and avoids clogs, and lets the tank completely empty.  I usually keep my grey water tank open when hooked up to full hookups.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

dankoozer

Sent: 9/22/2007

I read somewhere that RV toliet paper is simply single ply. All you have to do is look for single ply paper at your supermarket. It's cheaper that two-ply AND is OK for the holding tank.

DanK

tiinytina

Sent: 9/23/2007

TP at Costco or Wally world is still cheaper. Just throw a couple gallons  H2O into the tank before you start donating... personally we allow only #1.... If you open the  flush valve and notice a noticable "pile".. add water and plan to dump soon.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

MSN Member

Sent: 9/24/2007

I do not use toilet paper in my RV.  I do as I did back on the farm when growing up.  I keep a small bucket of white corn cobs, then a large bucket of red ones, and finally a empty 5 gal pail with lid and pour spout with cap.  I use a couple of reds, then a white and drop them down the 5 gal pail which I unscrewed the cap when I set down on the toilet.  After finishing up, I just screw the cap back on the 5 gal pail pour and leave with a big smile on my face.

MSN Member

Sent: 1/10/2008

" I do not use toilet paper in my RV.  I do as I did back on the farm when growing up.  I keep a small bucket of white corn cobs, then a large bucket of red ones....."   ROFLMAO!!!!

MSN Member

Sent: 5/12/2008 11:55 AM

corn cobs! lol! lmao! well i will stick with doing it like i learned on the farm in canada, drink a pile of beer and pee in the toilet. the uric acid breaks down anything. use approved for septic systems paper and bob is your auntie! nothing like the urine of a beer swilling canadian to fix any system!

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/9/2008

Because of the exploding costs of gasoline, and the fact that the materials I use, mostly the wood, in making my catapults has almost DOUBLED in the last year (lead has more than TRIPLED!!!!), we have decided, after a lot of research, to start using Scott single ply TP!  ONE roll lasts longer than 4 rolls of the Thetford, and so far seems to work as well!

I will also start adding a 20 lb bag of ice to the black tank before a trip...awesome advice!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

AllanCZ

Sent: 6/10/2008

I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread, but through a link from this site (don't know anymore where it was), there was a recommendation to put a little Calgon or whatever-brand water softener down the drain into your tanks. That will help keep everything slipping right along.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/24/2008

This is my third black tank dump since I switched to Scott 1000 sheets...and the tank is clean and clear!!!  No clumps or mountains!!!  Looks like Scott single ply does the trick!!!

Kev

mightybooboo

Another vote for Scott Tissue; never had a problem....