Separating the shower/toilet. Where can I put a closet?

Started by Quasar, February 26, 2009, 02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasar

My D-18 does allow one to evacuate one's bowels while taking a shower. Certainly there is an undeniable efficiency in being able to combine both functions. However, at my age (76), I think it prudent to separate the two iterations as I am far better off concentrating on only one thing at a time. Momentarily ignoring one in favor of the other might lead to indescribably tragic results. Therefore I will encroach on the space now given over to a ward-robe for the expansion of the shower. I was wondering if any of the membership has devoted any thought to where a wardrobe might be squeezed in that would hold enough of "She who will not be denied's" frocks to get her through a 10 day trip. My Levis and T shirts can be stuffed into the generator compartment if need be. Inovative thinking could save the day.....any ideas?

Ken
Quasar..."Stubby" is 22 feet long and can go anyplace. Has 60,000 miles on it and is a runner. Will be replacing front springs, shocks and will be giving it a line up. Life is good

Oz

Being that yours is the second shortest of the vintage Winnebago motor homes, "option" space amounts to about a few glove boxes.

It boils down to priorities.  Do you camp mostly in campgrounds with showers or not?  Is it a must that you shower in the rig? 

If you and the Mrs can shower in the campground showers or use one of those portable shower tents, then you don't have do a thing.

If you or the Mrs. absolutely won't shower at a campground facility or use a shower tent, then your options are  limited.

You could use the fold or pull down bunks, folding the clothing or laying it out flat.  Add a few small anchoring points and use one or more of those cargo nets stretched over the clothing.  This wil hold them in place as you flip the bunk up and down.  If you have a pull-down front bunk, it will hold everything in place as well.  Of course, if you fold the clothes, they will have very prominent creases at each fold and square pattern creases unless you put a blanket over the clothes before securing them. 

The other option is to get a trailer, like 6'x8' and make it a traveling walk-in closet.  I can't think of many, or actually any, guys who would do this, but I know a lot of women who would think it was an absolute necessity if there weren't any room inside the rig.

Under one of the dinette seats?  Usually, one is available for storage.  I'd rather put camping accessories there myself, but it can be used for folded clothes.

You may be able to add a slide out pantry to be used for hanging clothes.  Of course, about the max width you could possibly squeez in woulb be about 6" and that might not hold enough clothes to really be worth the effort, unless you're talking tee shirts or thinner material shirts.

But, if you're more willing and able to do some floor plan modifications, you could eliminate the dinette bench adjacent to the current closet and make that area a closet.  The table could be mounted to the wall and you could even add a flat screen TV above the table. 

Since you are willing to go the lenght to convert the original closet into a shower, it wouldn't be much more to do the last option.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Quasar

Thank you Pharaoh for your courteous and well thought out reply. My dinette is just behind the driver, but one of your suggestions really resonated with us, and it was something we hadn't considered. The area above the drivers seat, which I think was at some time a bunk would be ideal for laying out the clothes we normally take with us (that may be one of the areas you were referring to). We never take "good" clothes with us we most always are camping in undeveloped areas. I guess we are so accustomed to hanging everything up that we don't think in terms of the mildly unconventional.

Good idea

Ken
Quasar..."Stubby" is 22 feet long and can go anyplace. Has 60,000 miles on it and is a runner. Will be replacing front springs, shocks and will be giving it a line up. Life is good