Need New Gas Cap

Started by Cakeman2253, August 07, 2009, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeman2253

My gas cap is leaking. The rubber gasket, after 36 years i guess, has given up. Anyone know where to get a new gas cap? I have tried Napa and Advanced Auto. Nothing. Thanks
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

The_Handier_Man1

On my '73 Indian with the 2 fillers next to the door, my main tank (front 40 gallon) takes a Stant 10574 locking cap, and the (rear 20 gallon) aux takes a Stant 10593 locking cap.  Funny thing is I just found out the aux cap is not vented.  Only took 9,000 miles, but when I took it off for gas on this last trip it had pressure in it.  A small hole drilled in it should fix that.......Les.

Clyde9

Hi got mine from NAPA. Works fine Lasts long time!!!

Jack

Cakeman2253

Do you have the part number from Napa?
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

Clyde9

No, I had a regular gas cap and wanted a locking gas cap. These days you cannot trust anyone with 50 gallons of gas just sitting there with no lock and key. Anyway, Mine is not a 73, it's a 69, and the parts may differ some as not much on my rig is original. They were able to find the gas cap that should go on my because there was a standard cap for the year model and chassis model (69 M300). Since I had my own cap with me, they just matched it to a locking gas cap by looking at it. Works fine.

Jack

povertycoach