Need intake manifold for Ford, 6cyl engine in '70 F17

Started by drmonteiro, January 09, 2009, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmonteiro

Sent: 8/8/2008

I've had no luck searching the internet for an intake manifold to replace the cracked original on my '70 Winnebago, model F17.  Found the exhaust manifold with no problem.  Anyone know of a good source for parts, new or used, for this engine?
drmonteiro

Too Soon Old ... Too Late Smart

Clyde9

While you are taking the time to locate the intake manifold, you can use JB Weld on the old intake. I have done it several times through the years with 100% success. In fact I have also used JB Weld on an old ford tractor, oh, maybe 10 or 15 years ago, Still running strong and no leak. I wish you luck finding the manifold.

clyde9 (jack)

ontheroadagain

Here is a link to the best used parts search for all of north america I looked up a 1970 ford f-100 with a 300cid and it came up with quite a few available all across the U.S. they list winnebago as a choice but you better off just using the truck your winne is built on to search for parts
http://car-part.com/index.htm

drmonteiro

Sent: 8/9/2008

Thanks for your response.  I went to http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php for info on JB Weld and note that it is "Not recommended for use on manifolds,... which normally operate at temperatures above 500F."  But if it worked so well for you, I'll get some and try it.
A search on Car-Part.Com didn't turn up anything for a Ford P350 or '70 Winnebago, so I tried a search on "Ford Other" and found other models, F100, F250, etc, that had intake manifolds available for a 6-300 engine.  Can anyone tell me if they are the same intake manifolds as on my Ford P350?
drmonteiro

Clyde9

It is true that JB Weld is not intended for Exhaust Manifolds, because they do indeed get hot, but Intake manifolds do not get anywhere near 500 degrees F. It is important to clean the area which is to be bonded. I wish you the best and am a true fan of the ford 300 ci 6, and am keeping my eyes out for anything concerning one. Good luck with it. Have you posted pics yet?

clyde9 (jack)

drmonteiro

Haven't posted any pics, yet, but will be doing that soon ... I'm a new member as of Thursday this week.  Thanks again for you help.
drmonteiro

Lefty

Sent: 8/10/2008

Another option to consider, is that any decent welder can weld cast iron. If you have enough access to apply the JB Weld, you probably have enough to allow a welding rod in.

Also, with cracks in metal it is extremely important that you drill a small hole at each end of the crack. This will prevent the crack from continuing to increase in length.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

drmonteiro

The "crack" in the intake manifold includes a hole large enough for me to insert my thumb ... it is directly below the carburetor at the point where the intake manifold bolts to the exhaust manifold. 
drmonteiro

drmonteiro

ABC Auto Salvage quoted me a price of $50.00 plus shipping for an intake manifold off a 72 Ford Truck 200 ....
drmonteiro

drmonteiro

Sent: 8/13/2008

What about bolting the manifold to the engine?  Will that be a match?  And will it match where it bolts to the exhaust manifold?  I don't know what to think.  My mechanical skills are limited.  Maybe I should just continue to search until I find an exact match for my 1970 Ford 6-300 engine.  What do you think?
drmonteiro

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 8/13/2008

Looks like everythings the same but the carb stud width and height.  Stud height depends on if you use the carb spacer or not.  If you can file the carb holes and maybe change the carb studs this manifold will work. 

rustyescott1

Sent: 8/14/2008

Try Dennis Carpenter Parts.  He's a major Ford parts supplier in North Carolina.

Rusty Escott
Rusty Escott

GulfCoastFighter0

Sent: 8/15/2008

I agree that the manifold should work / be the same.  I've built several 300's in trucks and never had a problem swapping parts between years.  All 6-cyl owners/fans should visit http://www.cliffordperformance.net/  They have been very helpful to me in the past and have extensive knowledge when it comes to the 6 bangers.
1980 Minnie Winnie
1971 Bethany Citation 86
1971 Airstream Ambassador
NRA Recruiter

drmonteiro

Sent: 8/18/2008

I finally found an intake manifold that will fit at Stevens Specialty Engine Parts online.  My thanks to you all for your comments and offers to help.
drmonteiro