Bypassing the Neutral Safety Switch

Started by MSN Member, January 09, 2009, 11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 4/8/2006

I am looking for some help from anybody willing.  My Bagos' wiring under the dash is a joke and I am looking for a wiring diagram or just some advise.  All I really have to do to make it run again is bypass the neutral safety switch but the hob cobble job under there makes my life a whole lot harder.

denisondc

Sent: 4/8/2006 5:38 PM

As you motorhome is a 66 'lifetime premier', I assume its on the Ford chassis. I believe there were wiring diagrams for those chassis in the Ford service manuals, though I dont have one. The wiring diagrams in the Dodge Motorhome Chassis Service Manual are good, but they cover only the wiring supplied by the chassis maker - not what winnebago did. The dashboard wiring had to be altered to somewhat by winnebago when they built the coach around it. I have not seen or heard of any diagram for the dashboard wiring - as it was completed by Winnebago.

I suppose I will rewire the area under my D22 dash someday, but there is no hurry. To make it easier to work under there, I have altered the seat post. After I lift the seat out, I can undo 4 bolts and remove the seat support itself. This results in a good sized flat floor space to lie on. Winnebago had a foot-board angling up from the floor, which I also removed. It makes it easier to reach the wiring harness running down at the front of the space.
I have harvested an extra dashboard identical to mine from a unit being scrapped. The wiring for the instruement cluster part is the same as it would have been on a 72 dodge pickup I am still looking for wires as close to the original colors as possible, a size or two thicker in awg, and preferrably teflon insulated.

MSN Member

66 Bago,your neutral safety switch is on the steering shaft at the steering box if you have the auto trany.
There are 4 wires, 2 for the n/s and 2 for the back-up lights. 

MSN Member

Back up lights thats it!...Sweet thank you I think I can figgure it out now....But I still have to re-wire that rats nest some day.

MSN Member

Sent: 4/10/2006

Well that didnt work I dont know what to do any more.  I just cant seem to make it run.  Does anybody know what the center wire goes to on the back of a 1966 premier ignition switch?  Or what wire the neutral safety switch cuts out?  Thanks for any and all help.

MSN Member

Sent: 4/11/2006

Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid?  It's on the frame next to the engine starter.  Please be careful!  If it starts and it's in gear, the motorhome will take off!  If the starter or solenoid are old I'd replace them.

MSN Member

I know she starts and runs I am just trying to fix the horrible wiring.  I need to figure out what wire is cut out my the neutral safety switch.  Well I need to figgure out where a lot of the wires go any ideas on how I go about this?

MSN Member

It sounds like a fusible link problem.

DanD2Soon

Sent: 4/13/2006

Any chance it's just a bad Neutral Safety Switch?

DanielTBolger

dodge it is on trans  a green wire goes to the starter relay  the green ground when in park or balance  so make a jumper to ground
ford is on stearing Coulom red with blue strip and red  jumper those to gether
Chevyand GMC   same place as ford but wire color is purple and  not sure the other color I thing red jump those together.
on some van and truck had a switch on side of the tranny  same color wires

JDxeper

I have 1968 F-17, on a P 350 Ford chassis,  Auto trans,(C4).  Its starts in gear.  Question , does anyone have a part number for the neutral safety switch?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

MSN Member

Hi Darrel.Does it start in all the gear positions?Just wondering.

JDxeper

Yes, It starts in all gears.  all wires are connected to the switch.  But the back up light only comes on in reverse.  Trying to find if some one by passed the switch some where..
Derril
BTW  I found a lot of info on this site.  I assume a lot of the info on the f-series translates to the p series chasis.  http://www.fordification.com/index.php
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)