Classic license plate restrictions

Started by toddabney, January 03, 2009, 07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigern

First of all, I found out that the town hall said I can't put classic plates on the motorhome; they don't count  D:oH!! .well we called the main dmv in Augusta, ME.  They said we can put classic plates on the Chieftain and it cost $30.00 bucks and any classic vehicle in Maine you can you use it for what it was made for .i can take the motorhome camping and no mile restriction because it was made to for that .if i had a old wrecker with classic plates i could haul cars with it intended use and all.so i will have the old diesel chieftain licensed next month.now i just need good battery,s .thanks all :)clap :)rotflmao
bigern

angrybreadbox73

Anybody in ohio checked this out too i wonder??? i??
soo many bagos so little time

lewism61

I have an update for Washington State.  In spite of what I was initially told by my local county DOL, RVs are still eligible for "collector vehicle license plates."  If your local office won't license your rig under RCW sections 46.16A, and 46.17.220, ask them to contact their support team for the correct information.

In Washington, to be eligible, your "collector vehicle" must be at least 30 years old, operated primarily as a collector vehicle and be in good running order.  A collector vehicle may only be used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving. 

In lieu of a collector vehicle plate issued by the DOL, a Washington State issued plate designated for general use in the year of the vehicle's manufacture may be used. 

When you show up at the DOL, bring the "restored plate" (only one needed for the rear) if you plan to use one, the vehicle's title, proof of current registration, and $46.  As before, the registration is evergreen and does nor require any additional fees to keep it in force. 

Best luck, if you have problems with your local county office, contact Olympia and they should be able to help. 

dgapilot

In Maryland they currently are not allowed. I have one of the State Assemblymen interested in presenting legislation that would add the term "Multi-Purpose Vehicle" to the section about Historic Plates. If we can muster up enough support and get other folks in the State Assembly to support it, it might just pass. PLEASE, anyone from Maryland, contact your state representitives and ask them to support any legislative effort to allow motorhomes to use Historic plates. For more details, see my thread on Maryland Historic Plates.

Thanks,
David Schober

recycled55

Illinois just returned my application in todays mail. It said "antique" personalized plates can only be placed on vehicles weighing less than 10,000 pounds. Anything over that requires a standard RV or if its a truck a truck plate.
Now I have to try to reason with them and find out what the scoop is.
recycled55
84 winniebago chieftain 22   SOLD
2007 four winds hurricane - I know not a classic

dgapilot

Got an email from my state assembly person today, the MD Department of Legislative Services is drafting a bill to be presented in the next session of the General Assembly that, if enacted, will allow Historic Plates on Multi-Purpose vehicles. Contact your state representitives and let them know that you are interested in having this enacted. Ask them to cosponsor the bill when it comes up. When I get more info, I'll post it.

dgapilot

The MD bill passed both houses and is waiting for the govornor to sign it. Supposed to take effect June 1.

dezertgurl

Looks like this old thread is still active. Has anyone recently acquired Special Interest Plates for a motorhome in Oregon? There's a post from 2010 about Oregon, but I've got a couple questions about the current process.

First, DMV website says you can get ONE plate for $12 plus a fee of $5 or $10 (depending on how long to renewal of your previous plates). But their section on motorhomes says you must run TWO plates. Do they actually issue just one license plate? I know Oregon requires two plates on virtually everything, and local OSP and County patrols have been instructed to ticket people with only one plate, so I don't want to end up paying a fine because DMV's right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing!  ???

2nd question: The website also says This (Special Interest) plate is issued to a vehicle that is maintained as a collector's item and is at least 25 years old at the time of application, a vehicle sanctioned as a vehicle of special interest by an established organization that provides for recognition. So I imagine I need something in writing by a collector's group that can verify the VIN of my old Winnie as a Special Interest Vehicle? Anyone know an organization that Oregon DMV would recognize for this purpose?

This may seem nitpicky, but believe me, our local DMV is a perfect example of bureaucracy throwing its weight around just because it can!  $@!#@! As it's a 90 mile drive to DMV, I've learned to have ALL my ducks in a row before I go to avoid repeat trips! Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Just sold 1973 Winnie D20 Brave

dezertgurl

Update on Oregon Special Interest Plates: I got brave enough to go to the DMV, and here's what happened.
Me: I want to buy Special Interest plates for my 1973 Winnebago.     Clerk: OH, we can't do that!
Me: Gee your website says you can!    Clerk: I'll have to check on that (gets on computer, then confers with associates). Well it looks like we can. HOWEVER, you have to certify that it truly is a Collector Vehicle, not just one you go camping with.    Me: Yes, I know. I can do that.    Clerk: You can only drive it to shows and parades. Are you SURE that's all you'd do with it? So many people try to get out of paying higher fees for regular plates, and then take the vehicle to non-approved uses.    Me: Doesn't the language say "Vehicles may only be used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses"? So I could drive my restored motorhome to a Winnebago collector's get-together at a campground, right?    Clerk: Errr, umm, yes. Well, fill this out, sign here, and my colleague will finish your transaction. I need to go to lunch now.
So I got my Special Interest plates, thanks to doing my homework first!  :)clap Thank You to
The_Handier_Man for posting those regulations a couple years ago, I'd never have noticed that phrase otherwise. Yes, they said "plates" (plural) will be mailed to me, and No, they didn't ask for verification of any club membership.

FYI for other Oregonians, my total cost was $93. That's $12 for the plates, plus registration. I can't find anything that tells me if/when the registration runs out. But if I have to renew in a couple years I'm still money ahead, the first time I licensed my Winnie the total was right at $290!!! Meanwhile, I'll drive it in the local Centennial Parade next month, and plan to make it to some kind of Vintage RV gathering in the future! Y!

dezertgurl

Another Oregon Update: The Special Interest plate arrived today. Yup, that's plate singular, there's only one! I can foresee a few traffic stops because of this, but oh well!  D:oH!   As long as I make sure there's a bonafide vintage gathering of some sort involved with my destination it shouldn't be TOO big a problem!

belldoc

Was getting ideas from this but remembered I live in a state that likes their income. here's NE rules as of Dec 2012:Historical plates are provided by the State of Nebraska to vehicles thirty (30) years old or older that are essentially unaltered from the original manufacturer's specifications. Two plates are required and must be displayed on the front and back of the vehicle.
Included with the designation Historical is the Vintage year plate. Vintage year plates are historical plates that were issued by the State of Nebraska in the year corresponding to the model year of the historical vehicle. License plates that can be used as Vintage plates are restricted to the following plate types:Passenger
  • Farm
  • Commercial
  • Motorcycle
  • If using a Vintage year plate, only one plate is required and must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. Vintage year plates must be submitted, along with application, to the Department of Motor Vehicles for inspection and approval. Vintage year plates that have been restored to their original condition may be used provided the original colors of the plate when it was first issued are used in the restoration. For a description of past Nebraska License plates, please refer to Nebraska License Plates . When submitting a Vintage year plate for approval, please include a postage paid, pre-addressed 6 ½ x 12 ½ " return envelope.
    A vehicle licensed with Historical license plates may only be used for test drives, parades and hobby-related activities. Vehicles registered with Historical license plates may not be used for normal transportation to and from work, driven on a daily basis, or used for hire.
    Applicants applying for Historical plates must own one or more additional vehicles that are currently registered. If the vehicle used for regular transportation is titled in the name of a company, proof that the applicant is owner of that company will be required.
    Trucks with Historical plates may not be used for commercial business or transport a load in excess of 1,000 pounds.
    HISTORICAL PLATE FEES(Historical Plates Are Non-Expiring)
    First Historical Vehicle ........................................................................... $70.10
    First Historical Motorcycle ...................................................................... $66.80
    First Vintage Vehicle .............................................................................. $88.50
    First Vintage Motorcycle ......................................................................... $88.50
    (Additional Historical vehicle fees are $10.00 less than the First vehicle)
    Second Historical Vehicle ......................................................................... $60.10
    Second Historical Motorcycle .................................................................... $56.80
    Second Vintage Vehicle ............................................................................ $78.50
    Second Vintage Motorcycle ...................................................................... $78.50
    Transfer Fee ............................................................................................. $28.50
    If you sell your Historical vehicle and wish to transfer the plate to another historical vehicle owned by you, the fee must accompany a completed application and the old registration from sold vehicle along with proof of insurance and proof of payment of sales tax.
    Transfer Historical to Vintage ..................................................................... $53.50
    Vintage plates must be submitted for approval along with completed application, historical registration and proof of insurance. (Historical plates may be turned in or transferred to another historical vehicle registered in applicant name.)
    Lost Registration Fee .............................................................................. $ 4.50
    Lost Plate Fee (Must surrender registration from lost plate.)
    Motorcycle ................................................................................. $ 9.30
    Set of plates - motor vehicle .............................................................. $12.60
    Name Change ........................................................................ $ 5.00
    (Must submit completed application and Historical plate registration.)