Classic license plate restrictions

Started by toddabney, January 03, 2009, 07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddabney

Sent: 12/21/2007

Hello all.  Todd, the new kid here.  I just bought a 1973 Winnebago Brave this summer and even though I haven't been on a long trip yet i am LOVIN it!  My question is, I plan on buying classic plates for my rig. here in washington state you can even put a one time set of 1973 plates on it!!  That is my plan.  Anyway, when at the licence place, I asked about restrictions in using classic plates on my 1973 rv.  They didn't seem to eager to want to talk about them" well, you know that you can only use them for classic get togethers and parades", to name a few restrictions.  What if I want to got to a meet in southern Calif?   Am I legal?   Is one rig a parade?  Has anyone delt with this?  Any lawyers in the croud?  I like the idea of never buying tabs or plates again, but I don't want to be at odds with the powers that be either.  Any thoughts?  Thanks, Todd (from the wet side of washington)

bill_never_paid

Sent: 5/30/2008

Classic Vehicle license plates??
I, as toddabney who put out the original msg, also live in Wash State and I went to the DMV today to get new tabs on my Motor home and asked about getting a Classic Vehicle plate---the lady called the Olympia office-dmv-and was on the phone as she-at Olympia- checked to make sure I could do it. Only restriction-mine is a 1975- was that I not drive it every day. I wanted clarification before she hung up and once again she said "as long as you are not using it as a daily driver we have no problem with it". The price-Washington- was $lll.00 before I got my new tags/plate and the final price was $l49.00 -$75.00 of which goes to road vehicle wt. something. But I will not be required - my registration states under expires" permit."  to pay again. Also -she said I no longer need my front plate only the back one
Works for me
Bill------------CV plate owner

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 5/31/2008

Hey Bill, it's great to get the "old guy/gal" licenses.  The way I look at it is these RV's have paid plenty over the years and now they are in retirement and getting the benefits of old age.  Now if only we got a discount at the pumps,   Les

toddabney

Sent: 6/10/2008

Hey Bill, that is good news.  I need to get tabs soon and can't wait to get my "permanent" plates.  How sweet.  Take care,

Todd

bill_never_paid

Sent: 6/11/2008

Hi all, got my new plate, for "the Farris Hilton" (motor home) the other day and "Lovin' it" as (vertical) says collector vehicle then the # of the plate. and no stickers so I won't have to pay for plates/tabs again. How cool---but not sure if I can handle filling er' up---is that.
Bill

ibdilbert01

Sent: 6/11/2008

I had read somewhere (maybe even here) that in ohio you could find a vintage tag (like one from 1972) and re-register it and use it. If I get a chance I'll call the BMV today and ask if this can still be done, it would be cool to have 72 plates on my 72 winnie.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

bill_never_paid

Sent: 6/21/2008

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just rec'd a letter from the Wa.State DMV the they charged, the licensing agency, to much for my Classic plate etc and they are sending me $104.75 as a refund.  So it only cost me a little over $30 to get a Collector Vehicle plate-no need for a front plate any more-and I no longer have to pay for tabs. Those who live in Wash. State need to go git'er'dun' also the reason it is a refund is that it, our motor home, had current lisc tabs on it. Got a Motor home or Trailer over 30yrs old and Live in Wa.----the State with running water;power and indoor toilets--save some money.
Bill----------Proud owner of a Collector Veh. named "The Faris Hilton"!

toddabney

Sent: 6/22/2008

Hello bill, good job.......just last week I spent $149 bucks on a collectors plate for my 73 winnebago.  Did you have current tabs when you bought your collector plate and that is why you got the refund?  I didn't have current tabs when I got mine.  Either way, I'm happy that there is no more tabs for my Winnie.  Take care, Todd

Sonnys_Toy

Hi you all..  Just registered "Sonny's Toy 2" here in Ohio with 'Historic' plates [cost: $36.00] do not have to renew for 50 years...[if I'm around...LOL]  Basic same restriction as all other states seem to run...but who really is going to know what you do...I see people around Akron area driving vehicles with 'Historic' plates everyday back and forth to work and such....Enjoy your RV...

bill_never_paid

Yes Todd -my tabs were currant and the nice part was that they were do the following month so I not only got-almost- my years worth of tabs but they gave me credit for the currant tabs. Well  you won't have to worry about paying for tabs any more so that's good. Hope to run into, meet, you sometime. Trying to put together a jam for Wash.,Or,/Idaho,Les did a great job on the one we had at Viento, area but because of the "Camp at home" thing most of our parks, on the river, are full til' after school is back . Going to go out this next week and see how many-first come-sites are available in Aug/Sept (first part). Real hot around here then but our parks have lots of trees and well kept grassy areas. Just trying to figure out something will let CW know if I can git'er'dun'. Have fun - Bill

JDxeper

Sent: 9/22/2008

Got mine in the mail today, no inspections, $15.50 per year for the personalized tags.

JD    JD78BRAVE1
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Toby Tyler

In Montana you can register any vehicle over 10 years old for permanent plates and will avoid paying for tabs each year. I think it may have something to do with the amount of farmers and ranchers that keep around their ranch trucks for so long.

Oz

It was only about 3 years ago that PA excluded RVs from running classic tags.  What was really funny was, when I got the form to apply for classic tags, in the very first sentence (and nowhere else on the form) was a part which was both bold and underlined.  This part stated something to the effect of "Motorhomes and mopeds are inelligible for classic licenses."

Wow... I wonder if all those classic moped ownes are as ticked-off about it as I am.

Somebody in the State Legislature must've had a bad run in with a moped gang, or something.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

seeburg220

In Virginia, it appears RV's can be registered as antiques, along with cars as long as they are from 1975 or earlier (although now that it's 2009, it's probably 1976 or earlier).  My '69 Camaro is registered as an antique. I bought some original '69 license plates off Ebay that have the year stamped on them and took them to DMV and paid $50.  I don't have to pay any further costs, including the yearly state safety inspection of $20.   By doing so, though, I'm restricted to not driving further than 250 miles from home (ya, right!), and I must show proof of owning another vehicle that is used as a daily driver.  Some pinhead state legislator was trying to eliminate this whole program, but the antique car clubs stepped up and raised hell.  Safe for now.

ClydesdaleKevin

I had considered classic plates but since our vehicles are registered in Florida, there really isn't any point.  Yearly regisration is cheap, and Florida doesn't have ANY emissions or inspections laws AT ALL...plus, there is only a ONE TIME property tax when you first register your vehicle, and as long as you never let your registration lapse, you never pay taxes again!  Very cool!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Clyde9

In Colorado after 25 years, you can get classic tags. It was around $250 here (for the rig), and lasts 5 years. I think it may be around $100 to renew after that (I may be off by $150 though, lol). There are no emissions inspections after the first one to get the tags. I wonder if Colin ever got the emissions worked out on his rig (another Colorado Winne owner).

Clyde9

Dave Burden

When we registered our '75 Chieftain I checked out the options - regular number plate, antique tag, vanity antique tag.  The regular antique tags here are around $15, but can only be bought at the main DMV office at the state capitol, over an hour away.  The local office can mail away for them, but that takes a week or so.

The regular tags were going to cost $50-60.  But, the vanity antique tags were around $40 and we could get a temporary plate on the spot at the local office.  Obviously we went that route.  The NH law states any vehicle 25 years or older can get antique tags and it's fairly vague on use restrictions. 

NH does allow pre-war (WWII) vehicles to run year-of-manufacture plates on the front and a current NH antique plate on the rear, but that's unrelated.

Dave
ex - 1975 Chieftain 25'
1977 Tonka Mighty Winnebago 23"

newellkev

Can any one tell me if Michigan allows a classic plate on an RV? I can find info about cars but not RV's.
The only way out.......Is through !!!!!!!

OldEdBrady

I did a quick search for Utah.  Some had restrictions, some didn't.

There are antique plates for '73 and older.  I suppose they just list your vehicle as an antique, but not a vintage-style plate.

Vintage plates.  With this, you can display the original vehicle plate (if you have it) if there are no other plates with the same letters/number.  The vehicle must be 40 years or older.

Then there are Special Interest Plates.  The vehicle must be 20 years or older, and are not available for motorcycles nor trailers.  These are modern things, too, with some designation or another of the interest group.

As I said, all have their restrictions and requirements.

JDxeper

hose-man

Tried several different angles to get classic plates in Idaho, but none worked.    The classic plates, and the year of issue plates program are not regular annual registrations.  They are a one time $25 fee & no further fee.   

State code says you must buy an RV sticker. The RV sticker is issued in conjunction with a regular annual registration.

I'm bummed, because the classic plate just looks right on this old rig. 

JDxeper

Just got my Missouri Historical plates for the 1968 Winnebago F-17.  Tried to get 68-F17 but have to many jet jockeys here in MO I guess. These will do,  no inspection, paid $43.75 and only have to pay the $15 annual fee for the vanity plate, otherwise it would be a one time charge only.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=1860

Oz

Any kind of driving restrictions on those histerical plates?   Hm?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Keep a driving log, 3,000 personal miles per year, service and events, ie jams, events don't count.  We can have lots of jam with our toast. W%

The_Handier_Man1

Quote from: Phåråoh on January 06, 2010, 08:16 PM
Any kind of driving restrictions on those histerical plates?   Hm?

Now that's funny Mark.  In Oregon my "Special Interest" plates say;

General Information: This plate is issued to a vehicle that is maintained as a collector’s item and is at least 25 years old at the time of application, a vehicle sanctioned as a vehicle of special interest by an established organization that provides for recognition, or is a street rod as defined by ORS 801.513. This plate is also issued to a vehicle that is a racing activity vehicle as defined in Oregon law. Vehicles may only be used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses.
Plate Fees: $12 (one plate issued)
Available For: Passenger Vehicles, Motor Homes, Buses, Mopeds, Motorcycles, Trucks, Travel Trailers, Campers, Special Use Trailers, Heavy Trailers and Light Trailers.

And the "similar uses" covers about everything I would be doing with Wilbur.