Lost Title Companies?

Started by MSN Member, January 03, 2009, 07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 8/27/2006

Has anyone ever heard or dealt with a company named International Title Service?  I think they are in Nevada.  Their website offers titles for motorhomes for $200.00.

thanks,
Scott

The_Handier_Man1

I guess I am too cheap to pay someone for finding a lost title.  You can always E-Mail the DMV involved and call them untill you get the answer you want.  Kind of like the IRS.  Don't take NO to mean you can't get what you want.  Best of luck,   Les

MSN Member

This place looks like it can do it.

http://www.getnewtitle.com/

I have done this with an old motorcycle but can't remember the company that did it for me.   They create a Maryland title and then you sell the vechicle to yourself and go thru your states procedures. 

Actualy http://www.its-titles.com/ is the place I used to title a motorcycle ...  It works ...

MSN Member

Sent: 8/28/2006

If the company is in Nevada, be sure to check with the BBB or the city before you deal with them. A lot of people have lost a lot of money dealing with companies that do not exist in Nevada. Do you have local companies in your city that will do vehicle registration, i.e. so that you do not have to go to the DMV?

Slantsixness

Sent: 8/28/2006

Something to consider:

Obtaining a title for a vehicle when it's lost is easiest in the last state the vehicle was titled in.
When the owner has passed away, or the title has been handed down 40 times through a bunch of "possesors" (they are never owners if they never titled the vehicle) often you can have a problem with altered or incorrectly filled out title or sale information.
In your state, there has to be an arbitrary board or company (try a local used car dealer for some insight here...) for lost titles. Keep in mind that if the vehicle comes up stolen (no matter how old) you can loose the vehicle, but you're not likely to be charged with stealing it (unless you did!)
Changing or modifying the VIN number or using the title from a different vehicle altogether is illegal. However, it has been done before.... not a good thing to do or admit to doing.

When applying for a "lost" or "hardship" title or title search/ acquisition, most states will allow the vehicle to be REGISTERED and driven, without title ownership, usually once it has been determined that the vehicle is not stolen.

In the case of a Winnebago, there are two options. The vehicle could be titled with the Winnebago VIN, or the Dodge Chassis VIN. It's up to you, but I'd have the vehicle checked for ownership using both VINs.

Ususally there is an attampt to contact the original owner, or their beneficiaries, and after a period of time, a new title can be issued. Having a Formal sales reciept or bill of sale from another unregistered "possesor" will only serve to make your day even worse, as you need a bill of sale indicating a purchase from the original title owner or his beneficiary, and in this case, the original title owner has passed.... you get the idea where this is going.... but sooner or later they have to grant or deny you a title.

there are about 50 million "tricks" to getting old titles signed over from dead owners. Every single one of them involves forgery on the most basic level. No vehicle is worth 2 years in the slammer...or a $50K fine.

But however you get your title, play dumb...especially online. "I don't know... it just came to me in the mail... they guy found it... the dead owner was my long lost uncle...

These title people online are either going to lie for you, or go through the process just as you can with arbitrating with the NY DMV. Save your money. ask the DMV questions... if NY is too strict about it, then find a relative or freind in another State to try his DMV. You'll get farther cheaper....

One last thing.... got a mechanic as a freind? He might be able to put a mechanics lien on it... and then you'll have a right to title, with a bill of sale from him...

I once had to wait almost a year to get a title for a car I had (1964 Barracuda formula S) I waited until the original owner came back from Belgium on home leave... I paid him for going down to the DMV at Christmas, and my title... problem solved. I even had the original title from 1964, but it was defaced by the dealership when the owner got it... the DMV said it was defaced and could not be transferred. so I waited 9 months. he got a duplicate title and all was well.

There's always a way. Just do it the right way.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

ClydesdaleKevin

We had to jump through hoops to get the title for Excalibur, even though we had a documented history of bills of sale from owner to owner to owner (5 owners in as many states) right back to the original owner, whose name was on the title.

The problem was that by FLorida DMV law, even though the previous owners never REGISTERED our 77 Itasca, they still owed the taxes to thier respective states.

Another problem was that the original owner filled in the information for the SECOND owner on the title...and if you alter a title AT ALL, Florida negates it and says its invalid...UNLESS you can get a notorized form filled out by the original title holder, in this case the original owner who bought Excalibur new, that says he entered the title transfer information in error for a reason such as the second owner never paid him, etc.

We were fortunate that the original owner was STILL alive and living in California.  I found him in the internet white pages...he still lived at the same address...and he assured me that he did indeed SELL his old RV (and it wasn't stolen) to the people whose name on the title indicated them as the second owners.  That said, I would have had to fax or mail him the form from the Florida DMV stating that the title info was entered in error, and he was cool with that...but then HE suggested and gave me permission to sign HIS name to the form if I could find someone here to notorize it.  I lucked out and the man who owned the campground we were staying at was a notory, used to notorizing things for custom Harleys and choppers, and notorized my "authorized" forgery without question.

The ALTERNATIVE would have been to track down EACH other owner down the line and get them to either pay thier own taxes (yeah right!) or pay it FOR them in each of thier states and get them to give you a copy of the receipt that thier DMV gave them...and there couldn't be ANY missing links in the chain of ownership.

We lucked out and now have a valid Florida title for Excalibur in our names. 

I'm not saying you SHOULD fudge things or fabricate a little here or there, but sometimes is greases the wheels of governmental machines and stupid laws and gets the job done.

I WOULD highly suggest though that you at least determine your RV is NOT stolen before ever trying any GREY AREA techniques to secure a title...lol!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.