What is "burping" your refrigerator?

Started by MSN Member, December 31, 2008, 09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldEdBrady

A lot of people don't have the option I do.  But, with the trailer right here in my yard, I simply plug in the trailer power, and keep the fridge going on 120V.  Never had a problem, even if it is a  1976 model.  It seems (from what I've read) the basic problem is "downtime" for the fridges.  If they aren't running a lot, they tend to have problems.  I could be wrong, but I'm just basing that one various threads I've read.

ClydesdaleKevin

You are right, Ed.  Keeping your fridge plugged in is the best thing you can do for it for longevity. 

There are 2 enemies of RV fridges...sitting around, allowing them to clog up over time, and rust eventually eating up your coils causing the gas to leak out and killing the fridge.

By keeping it always plugged in or running off propane, not only will it never clog up, the heated coils are much less susceptible to rusting out.  Since there aren't any real moving parts on these fridges, they won't wear out...and even if you do get electrical wear resulting in bad circuit boards or switches, those parts are WAY cheaper to fix or replace than replacing the cooling coils...or even the whole fridge.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

RedneckExpress

The one thing they don't include in that ingredient list is the salts that are also in the solution, which is what causes blockages, and the rust inhibitor that keeps the water from rusting out the steel pipes. 

Fridges, especially older units, will last a long time so long as they are run level and run to keep that rust inhibitor flowing through the pipes. 
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

ClassCKing

im gonna say and ask this..i had to burp my fridge,took 3days of turning side to side  and over and over.had nothing .than a neighbor mentioned that he had the same problem with his.he said that he took a hand held propane torch put it on low and put it in the flute area and left it there for about 15 to 20 min flipped it a couple of times and it worked..well i tried it and it worked for me and i havent had a problem since.now JDxeper mentioned heat tape a page or so back.my question is never heard heat tape used does it work?and if it did..livn in a colder climate like i do it would keep the coils warmer longer after there was no power..i like the idea for boondockn...just a thought  Hm?
fishn.hikin,etc; rvin hat

Oz

Quoteby ClassCKing:  JDxeper mentioned heat tape a page or so back.my question is never heard heat tape used does it work?

Heat tape is most known for its use with mobile homes.  Since the plumbing runs under the floor and is exposed to cold weather, the "tape" is basically wires, encased in a strip, which warm-up and is wound around plumbing pipes and plugged into the house electric, thus preventing the pipes from freezing.  Note that, for many years, most mobile home fires were the result of heat tape because it wasn't checked on a regular, frequent basis for signs of damage from rodents and any areas where the casing may be wearing through.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClassCKing

good point there Mark D:oH!..now that you mentioned it your right :)rotflmao i could see the tape but not the wires...brain fart
fishn.hikin,etc; rvin hat

cattlejack

I just bought  what I think to be in good shape, 1972 Indian, but I don't know anything about her history, the PO said that the Norcold refrigerator was a newer model.  I went to start it up, it seems to be running but never got cold.
PO said she had been in storage for a long time. I don't know anything about Rving, so everything has a learning curve. To burp this unit, after I figure out how it going to come out, is there anything I have to unplug, disconnect or remove first?
Thanks, everyone for your help, after this it's the furnace, water heater, air conditioning, etc, etc. 

Oz

Nothing to unplug once you have it out.
Turn it upside down and leave it for a few hours.   If it isn't bad, you should hear the ammonia trickling pretty quickly.  If it is, you may have to do this 2 or 3 times.

Woodybago

My 74 Brave had a similar problem. We burped it, but that did not work, so we had an expert recharge the unit and refurbish it. It is a Dometic 4 cubic footer. However, it still did not get really cold. One of the owners of Sand's RV in Madison, Ohio suggested that we change the gas regulator at the propane tanks. He said old ones lose the ability to push the gas through enough to get the frig cold. After following his advise our frig runs like a new one.

Oz

Yep. That can certainly be a problem as well.