Rebuilding the Saginaw Power steering pump--Easier than you think!

Started by RockwoodMike, June 11, 2024, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike

My power steering pump is in the usual dirty crusty condition that pretty much everything else is on this long term project..

Let's rebuild it..The pumps really don't wear out because they are submerged in oil..What happens is the pressure O-rings leak internally..Causing pressure loss..

Kits to rebuild are easy to get..So is the rebuilt pump..But the difference is plenty..So much so that rebuilding is worth the effort..

At least for me it is..

Here is the kit I bought..Should be here by Friday..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7663740&cc=545&pt=7407&jsn=9

Not much to it..O-rings..seal for the pulley shaft and a bushing for the shaft if needed..

Pic 1..The pump as been stuffed off to the side for awhile..took the lines off of the gear box

Pic 2..The low pressure line is simple clamped hose..replacing the rubber hose is no problem..High pressure hose is still available..I wll get the number of the hose if some one is interested..

Pic 3..Pulley has a nut securing to the shaft..Impact helps..

Pic 4..You can tap the pulley off with a soft hammer or use a puller like I did..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 5..I cut the high pressure line short..Then used the boxed end of the wrenches to get the stubbed pipe of..It was very tight..

Pic 6..Key way on the input shaft..Tapping it off, it went flying across the room $@!#@! I was lucky to find it :)

Pic 7..On the back side of the pump are 2 bolt studs..These mount the bracket that mounts to the engine..Easy to remove..

Pic 8..Pressure relief valve..Tight but easy to get off..You can see the 3 parts stacked up..When you lock the steering full left or right, this is what squeals when you do that..

Gear box can't move any further and this cuts the pressure..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 9..The three items that secure the pump body to the tin can reservoir have been removed..And with light taps around the perimeter of the can, it will pop off the pump body..LIGHT TAPS!! Don't be whacking on it :angry:

Pic 10..Here is what it looks like inside..3 O-rings that seal the pump to the tin can ..Comes new in the kit..Sometimes the pump will leak here..

Pic 11..There is a heavy snap ring that comes off with a small punch ( I used a small screwdriver)..

Pic 12..When that snap rings comes off, that center dish plate will pop up with some force..There is a pressure spring under the dish plate..Be ready for the pop!

RockwoodMike

Pic 13..Snap ring..Plate..spring..Easy so far.. :azn:

Pic 14..This is where we pull the guts out..Reach in and pull out what you see here..This is where the pressure is created..

Pic 15..Shows what it looks like..10 little pieces (they are called vanes..Pushes the fluid to pressure it ..Also the housing that holds the vanes in..

Pic 16..You can now pull the main shaft out..There is 2 pins to line up everything..

RockwoodMike

Pic 17..Front seal for the input shaft..Easy to pop out with a screw driver after the input shaft is removed..

Pic 18..2 seals that separate the high pressure side from the low pressure side..
These get weak and you lose pressure..It causes the high (About 1500 lbs) pressure to leak back into the low pressure side..New seals come in the kit.

Pic 19..Close up of the input shaft..There is a cir clip holding everything together..You don't need to remove this..You can clean it without taking it apart..So leave it alone

Pic 20..Big O-ring that seals the pump body to the tin can reservoir..it can leak here too..Comes in the kit 

RockwoodMike

Pic 20-5..What it looks like inside when every thing is removed

Pic 21..Soda blasting the tin can..Cleans it fast and well!!

Pic 22..Soda blast the pump body..Removes the grease and grime but it is soft on the metal..doesn't harm the metal..

Pic 23..Clean but you need to use Simple Green to wash down residual soda..The soda will melt away with the soap and water.. Compressor air dry it..

Waiting on the kit to get here..Friday..Then we put it back together..

RockwoodMike

Got the kit in today..I have already powder coated the tin can and pump face

Pic 1..shows the pump kit and the 2 pieces that were powder coated..Printed the section out of the service manual covering the pump..

Pic 2..The input shaft had a good part of it rusted up..This is the area just outside the front seal..so it got rusted up some..Green scotch bright polished up the problem..

Pic 3..This is a seal and bushing driver from HF that has smaller sizes in it..It had a perfect size to drive out the main bushing and replace it with the one in the kit..

Pic 4 shows how the old had seen better days..in comparison to the new one

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Driving out the old one..Shop press made it easy..

Pic 2..Comparing old and new

Pic 3..Starting the press of the new one..

Pic 4..All done..

RockwoodMike

Pic1..new front seal

Pic 2..New inner seals from the kit..These are the seals that can leak causing pressure loss..

Pic 3..2 pins are inserted in their bore holes..These are the pins that locate all the parts correctly..Everything stacks on them to align..

Pic 4..Input shaft drops in going on the pins to line everything up..

I am using assemble blue goo left over from the transmission rebuild..It is designed to mix with the new transmission fluid..Or you can use ordinary petroleum jelly..Vaseline

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..The center main body..Drops on the pins..

Pic 2..Lubed up and dropped into place with the pins..

Pic 3..The pump vanes..

Pic 4..Shows the curved end that must face outward..Curved in to match the curved wall of the previous part..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Vanes installed..

Pic 2..Final piece of the stack of parts

Pic 3..Lubed up and installed

Pic 4..Center spring installed..Hold all the parts tight together

RockwoodMike

The final cap needs to be pressed down hard against that spring..

Shop press makes quick work of that and the snap ring can be installed to hold it all together..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..using the correct seals for the tin can..2 sets came in the kit..I used the shorter set as it matched the original seals..

Pic 2 Seals installed held in place with the blue goo..

Pic 3..There is the large seal around the perimeter of the pump..I forgot to take a picture of it..Lube up the inside perimeter of the can to help the can and pump come together..

Pic 4..The mounting bolts installed to hold it together

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Stack up of parts that make the pressure relief system..The part on the left can be altered to increase or decrease pressure..I didn't touch that setting..left as is..

Pic 2.. Be sure to put the new seal ring in the right place..Small hole would be blocked other wise..

Pic 3..Installed and tightened up

Pic 4..All done with the assemble..

RockwoodMike

Mounting brackets all cleaned up and powder coated

Pic 1-2 show them loosely installed

Pic 3..Mounted on the engine..Pulley installed..

EASY!! :)clap  :)clap Right?? :rolleyes: 

RockwoodMike

I made a mistake!! :-[

I stacked up the pressure relief system wrong..First picture shows the WRONG way

Second picture shows the correct way..Spring is the first thing..Not the middle

Sorry! :'(