Mike's A727 Rebuild

Started by RockwoodMike, December 28, 2023, 08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mlw

:)clap  :)clap  :)clap

No it's not stupidity, it's just wanting to get the job done. I'm exactly the same  ;)

And your welcome to the ATSG manual. Let me thank you for the manual of Tom Hands. It is awesome and has even some extra tips. I already told I wanted to add a pressure and temperature gauge for the transmission to the dash and the book explains exactly how to do it. With pictures which truly is an advantage over the ATSG manual.

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..This planetary gear rides inside this ring gear..That circular plate is the thrust washer...

Pic 2..And you can see what the thrust washer did to the aluminum housing..Kind of tore it up..

Pic 3..With some green scotch brite I was able to smooth it over..I think it will do..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..The sun shell (That big bell) has 2 bushings in the middle of it..One is wider than the other. Here is the wide one..Pretty poor shape

Pic 2..The narrower one..It was even worse...I didn't want to but replacing them with the bushing that came with the kit was the thing to do..

Pic 3..Here is the 2 bad bushings next to the new ones..I just used a blunt punch on the edge of the bushing to lightly punch them out..

Pic 4..The empty hole..Used green scotch brite to smooth the bore..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 1.Lube it up..The bore and the bushing..Then I just used the palm of my hand to start it..You can feel when it is in straight..Then it need to be lightly tapped in..You are not going to use your hand to punch it in..

Pic 2..Fully in..It is right at the level of that bevel in the gear..

Pic 3..The wide bushing side..Now that they are in the shaft just rotates butter smooth..

Pic 4..Here is the bushing driver of of Ebay..It is sized in metric and you just use what is the closest to the right size..

No heavy blows!! You are hitting the tool but a bunch of light blows instead of heavy blows..Takes longer, but is better to keep from damaging the bushing..

I didn't want to do this , but now that it is done, I am glad I did..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..My kit came with a new set of thrust washers and washers for the end play..Could have used the old ones..But they did look a little tired..

Pic 2..The output shaft stacked with the rear planetary sets..thrust washers..

It is held on the shaft at the rear where it was checked for clearance earlier and the front circlip

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Cleaning and checking the rear governor and parking gear..Notice the nice service manual open at the right page!! :)clap

Pic 2..New rings from the kit..All smeared with vast quantities of blue goo..

Pic 3..vast quantities of goo for the rear support.. 

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..The assembled rear shaft, just goes in from the front and slides all the way to the rear..be sure to engage the rear planetary lugs into the rear low reverse drum..You can miss that..I did..
Then install the governor..Slide it on the shaft to line up the hole on the shaft for the center pin for the governor..Make sure the circlip is installed right and tight.. Be careful with the  rings..Gentle wiggle and push the governor to engage the rings into the bore..
Yoshimoshi (Youtube video showed what happens if that pin cuts loose)

Install the circlip on the out put shaft shown in the red arrow location..

Pic 2..How it looks from the middle..

Pic 3..How it looks from the front..

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on January 17, 2024, 08:36 PMNo it's not stupidity, it's just wanting to get the job done

Actually it is just being a full blooded Redneck..And as a proud Redneck, our motto is..

"We's need no stinking instruction!!  Until it is so blasted screwed up,then we's do!!

Yea, I actually had to set everything down, come inside from the garage and print those 2 pages..After looking at the print, I said.."Oh that is how it goes in..DUH!!"

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on January 17, 2024, 02:46 PMA colleague of mine decided to stop working because his baby was crying and his wife couldn't handle it, so i'm working 7 days a week now untill we find somebody else so it is a little quiet around me again. Let's just hope we solve this soon.

How does this colleague plan to support financially his wife and baby without a job??
The wife will be crying even more, when they are evicted from their home because he has no job to pay the bills..

RockwoodMike

When the little circlip goes missing

RockwoodMike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204408525219

Working on the Direct clutch..This is used for 3rd gear or direct 1:1 ratio..This is also called the "Front" clutch for it's location in the trans..

This link for this press tool worked great..20 dollars free delivery..But it needs to be used in a press..being a hard plastic, it wont take the beating of a hammer..

Pic 1..Shows the tool ready for the press.

Pic 2..Installed..

Pic 3..Punched right out..Very light pressure pushed it right out.

Pic 4..Empty hole

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Comparison of the old to new..New has a swirl cut in for better lube..

Pic 2..Blue Goo everything..Bore and bushing..Start it by hand to get it straight..

Pic 3..Pressing it home..

Pic 4..Done and Good..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Kit comes with all the seals..Lower middle 2 are the ones for this piston..

Pic 2..One of the seals fit on the middle..Lip fits downward..It is easy to roll the seal in upside down..Be sure it is in right..

Pic 3..Goo everywhere..A light pressing and wiggle of the piston and it pops right in..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Kit comes with new spring..I used the same amount as original..But I believe these springs are just a little bit heavier pressure..

Pic 2..Shows how the original install of the pressure plate for the springs was in the wrong location..I installed it correctly this time

RockwoodMike

Using this neat trick from a very good life time builder Richard Crich, I tried to do the same..Worked great..Paid 6 for the pressure plate and 12 for the case clip..free delivery..There are deals out there..Hunt them down..

Pic 1..Shows the stack for this clutch..I can get 6 frictions when there use to be 4..50% stronger

Pic 2..Checking the clearance of the stack..Need .015 play for each friction..
6*.015= .090..

Pic 3..Gauge says .095.. :)clap

Pic 4..This clearance was measured dry for the clutches..I will soak them over night..I think it just soaks the oil in but doesn't swell..

Check again tomorrow..

That is all..I hope someone is getting something from all this..Or at least enjoy watching??

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Replacing the bushing that the torque convertor spins on.

Pic 2..From the same seller on Ebay, I bought the tool to press the old bushing out..Use it to put the new one in..Need to clean the pump first.

Pic 3 and 4..Filthy, filthy..Soda blaster time..

RockwoodMike

Pics 1 and 2..

After the soda blaster work. Then I use Simple green in a spray bottle and wash it down..Then compressed air to blow it dry.

CLEAN!! :grin:

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Rebuilding the Forward clutch..This clutch is on in all forward gears..Where it gets it's name..
New seals from the kit and a new plastic spacer to replace the 50 year old one.

Pic 2.. Made a lip seal installer from a plastic cottage cheese container, cut to shape with a pair of scissors..The plastic is thin and slippery.. Popped the piston right in..Don't forget the vast quanities of blue goo :grin:

Pic 3..Fully assembled..need to stack the clutches on now..

RockwoodMike

Gotta paint the pump..makes it go faster!!

Pic 1..Engine primer

Pic 2..Ford Blue engine enamel..Ford blue on a Chrysler Trans??..It is the only color I had on the shelf.

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..High performance accumulator..Double sealed..

Pic 2..High performance 2nd gear band piston..both of these items are made by Sonnax.

Pic 3..Installed..That cherry red anodized color makes it go faster.. :grin: 

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..New, old bushing with the plastic driver..Ready to install the new.

Pic 2..Press it in..

Pic 3..After the install..

Pic 4..Here it is on the inside..I didn't take a picture of the bushing after it was stacked at those 2 slots..That keeps it in place and holds it tight.

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..The gears were in great shape..Plenty of goo to lube them up..Ready to install the stater support..

Pic 2..After the install, install the sealing rings with more goo

Pic 3..All done..I wrapped it up in a plastic bag to keep it clean till install.

RockwoodMike

It is time for the Valve Body.. :(

You have to own the book..The one from Tom Hand..It is excellent :)clap

He has a full chapter with step by step tear down of it all..Read it carefully and you can't go wrong..

Here is 4 pictures before the tear down..I took lots of pictures of the tear down for my own use but I won't post them because the book is a much better way of doing this.

RockwoodMike

here it is after everything laid out..

Need to get a shift kit..Leaning towards the Transgo TF1..Summit has a good price..Here is the link..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-tf-1/make/chrysler

RockwoodMike

Cleaning the upper valve body..Soda blaster and then Simple Green in the sink with hot water..Blow dry with compressed air

Pic 1 and 2..Dirty :shocked:

Pic 3 and 4..Cleaned with the soda blaster..Before I cleaned it in the sink..
The soda method works great and will not tear up the casting..