Teardown A727 Torqueflite transmission.

Started by Mlw, December 20, 2023, 02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike

Have you seen this book?? Basic tear down, Inspection and Rebuild..Good info
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

It will be interesting to see what is under this ring retainer in regards to springs..How many you have and the arrangement of them..

Takes a press of some sort to push down on the retainer to remove the big retaining circlip..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Mlw

Yes, that will be an interesting one because it requires a "special tool"

I'll figure something out...

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on December 27, 2023, 05:21 PMit requires a "special tool

Here is my tool..Ebay special and I bought it when I was doing my Ford pickup C6 trans..It has a spring setup like this A727..

YoshiMoshi's tool was a fiasco..This one works fairly well, just need to keep the curved pieces from sliding inwards toward the clip ring as you tighten it down..

Here are some pictures..I haven't taken my apart yet..Want to see yours first..

RockwoodMike

Mlw

I've replied to you earlier but it seems not to have been posted  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I appreciate the link to the tool, but Hell needs to freeze over before I ever use Ebay again. Maybe it works in the USA but here in Europe Ebay is absolutely  $@!#@!
Ebay reviews.

In the Netherlands we have a saying "A donkey never hurts itself at the same stone". So, as said, I'll figure something out, and I will post it. I was actually already thinking of making something like your tool with a disk-puller.

And yes, I know the book but I've read the chassis manual I have. It gives the same information as you sent me in the manual earlier and on the internet I found the Torqueflite A727 - A904 Service Manual

And of course you are more then welcome to run a parallel thread. The more the merrier and so we can keep each other sharp.

EDIT
to my surprise: Chrysler Torqueflite A904 and A727 Transmissions

I've ordered it.

Mlw

So, the only thing left for me now is the rear/reverse clutch.  the reverse seen to have had a little harder life.

Rear clutch

Rear pressure plate top

Rear clutch plate 1.1

Rear clutch plate 1.2

Rear steel ring 1.1

Rear steel ring 1.2

Rear clutch plate 2.1

Rear clutch plate 2.2

Rear steel ring 2.1

Rear steel ring 2.2

Rear clutch plate 3.1

Rear clutch plate 3.2

Rear steel ring 3.1

Rear steel ring 3.2

Rear clutch plate 4,1

Rear clutch plate 4.2

Rear pressure plate bottom

Now I also inspected all the gears but everything is in excellent state and have no wear that justifies all the glitter in the oil. There is a date stamped on the front clutch plates which gives me a ruff date when the A727 was rebuild which should be almost 20 years ago.

So a complete kit will be ordered to renew everything that needs renewing. I've tried to find information on the internet what the glitter can be, but I'm pretty convinced now that the glitter is coming from the Torque Converter which I believe is still the original one so that will be renewed too. Nothing in the A727 is Brass colored what the color of the glitter was. But that it's time to at least renew several of the clutch plates is pretty obvious.

RockwoodMike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Zl4gay5Jo

You have the stronger bellville spring in your late model trans..John Cope explains the differences..

I have the weaker style..I really don't think it will matter either way..We are not racing,,just looking for full durability

Mlw

QuoteWe are not racing,,just looking for full durability

Ain't that the truth!

As far as I understood Yoshimoshi you can update the Bellville spring if you want, but hey if it's fine why would you throw money at it when it's not necessary? Lord knows the rebuilds cost plenty already and they will not be our daily drivers.

The only thing that does surprise me is that these clutch plates run 25000 miles or less. it probably is less. I do have to say Betsy spend her entire life in the Bavarian mountains in Germany, so yes, that would add to the wear of course, but still. My daily driver is a BMW E39 523I stickshift. it has now 275000 miles on it and as far as I know still has the original clutch. that is a pretty large difference, but I do have to admit that I don't know what's normal for these transmissions and if the previous idiot ran up those mountains in third.

And for everybody who want it: Exploded vision A727 Transmission

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on December 29, 2023, 08:56 AMit has now 275000 miles on it and as far as I know still has the original clutch.

The reason for the longevity is when you release the clutch, the springs inside stay fully on with full pressure..

In an automatic trans, the pressure varies with hydraulic pressure..Varies with the speed of the vehicle..how far your foot is into the gas pedal and the condition of the pressure seals..

My trans is original..120,000 miles..It was taken care of with fluid changes..pretty good run for a big fat motorhome

Your manual trans clutch pressure doesn't vary in the pressure..That is why it has lasted do long..

Some drivers will actually rest their foot on the clutch pedal and that will lessen the pressure on the clutch causing slippage and low service life.. 

RockwoodMike

Just some videos showing tear downs of the A727 from a man that made a living doing transmissions..
Just him talking about all the parts and what to look for..Priceless :)ThmbUp

This 5 clutch idea is something good to consider

RockwoodMike

Mlw

More info to watch, thanks  :)ThmbUp

As I drive stickshift all my life, i know manual transmissions, so I stand with everything you said. I just never really liked automatic finding it drving for lazy people, so I also was never really interested in the mechanics.

Now i'm forced to it.

As for the 5 clutch, i'm considering it, but then again I need to be absolutely sure everything fits within measurements and as the parts store selling it is a 100 mile drive you rather don't with gasprices up or over $11,00 per gallon.  :'(  :'(  :'(

RockwoodMike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256259656306

I know that this listing is on Ebay..And I am sorry to mention that E word here on your thread..Just in case someone wanted to see how else it could be done for a 5 clutch direct drum set up..

In the 3rd video with "Richard back attcha" he shows how to do it the cheap way...With a forward drum bottom plate and a case clip from a Chevy 350..

Using that "E" word site, I was able to source those parts...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254199737956   Shipping confirmation was received this morning..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115831935154   At this price with free shipping, I bought 2 in case I screw one up with the grinding of it..

If you walked into a parts store here, and asked for these parts, they would look at you with concern on their face..Telling you to go to a wrecking yard!!

Mlw

Well, we are (still) living in a free world my friend. As long as it helps others, who am I to forbid it. I just speak my mind and when I'm going to far I will be corrected by Oz which is fine also. :)

As I said, Ebay seems to work fine in the USA. Dave also said never to have any trouble with Ebay and i'm totally cool with that. Just wait till it does go wrong and then see what happens. I had it happening to me a little to often to put trust in that kind of companies anymore.

I'm becoming a fossil remembering other times when service still was a thing, and you could go around the corner to have minor carproblems often fixed within minutes.  Watching channels like Vice grip garage, sleeperdude, Junkyard digs or No nonsense knowhow I see al those tiny little gasstations, tyreshops and little restaurants that all went belly up because we all are way to hooked on the big guys. I just think it's a crying shame!

RockwoodMike

These channels on YouTube show people that are self reliant..They do the work themselves..

You are a person that is the same..For you to tear down a transmission, never doing it before, is a special Positive trait that most don't have..

For all the work that you are doing on Betsy...most people would not even try such a project..

The satisfaction of doing a job and seeing it through is Priceless!!

Soon enough, your engine and transmission will be back in their place..And when you drop it into drive and it shifts all the gears...Job well done!!