84 Chieftain gas tank leaking

Started by johnfrederick, July 15, 2023, 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnfrederick

My Chieftain just started leaking gas out of the top of the tank when I start it. The tank is full. Is this expansion happening when the engine is started or ?????

Thanks, John

RockwoodMike

When you start it, the engine fuel pump is drawing the fuel through the fuel line connection..Located at the top of the tank..It is probable leaking at that connection..When you shut the engine off, the fuel drops back into the tank and then there is no more leak..

That is my guess..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Eyez Open

That is where I first noticed/knew my fuel lines had rotted out. A virtual dribble from the front passenger corner of the fuel tank.As noted above only when running.

johnfrederick

Thanks for the feed back. As this project was a complete tearout the floor has yet to be finished. As I have to get to the top of the gas tank is it a better option to cut a hole in the floor to access the top of the gas tank ?

Thanks, John

RockwoodMike

Quote from: johnfrederick on July 16, 2023, 08:34 AMis it a better option to cut a hole in the floor to access the top of the gas tank ?

That is what I am doing on my project..But I have already removed the tank to fix it..Before I put it back in, I will create the trap door for it..

What you need to do is cut the floor out and be careful not to damage the tank with the saw that you use to cut the plywood..

The distance from the tank to the plywood is only 1.5-2 inches..So be careful not to cut the tank with the saw that cuts the plywood
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

johnfrederick

Thanks, Mike. Now, Like Roseanne Roseanne Adan..A..danam said, IF IT AIN'T ONE THING, it's.............

New post coming on oil in radiator.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: johnfrederick on July 16, 2023, 02:49 PMoil in radiator.

What type of oil? Transmission red or engine black?