Education needed

Started by mytoolman, July 08, 2023, 03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mytoolman

I know a fair amount about the Superior 2200 since I have a 1973. I always preferred to have the smaller model Superior 2000 but only the 2200 was available. My 2200 has been a challenge for its brake system and I dont know if I will go forward with what it will take to complete that major system's function. My idea was to convert its power brakes from dual hydrovac (2 mid frame mounted hydrovacs) and instead use a hydrobooster like the Superior 2200/2500 units that followed in 1976 had.  A new exciting/perflexing development has stopped my forward motion on this 2200 at least for now.

I am getting the smaller 1973 Superior 2000 model I have always desired. I was told this particular rig runs, drives, stops and the interior is complete but in need of tlc mostly a spit shine etc. It was taken on a trip as recently as 3 years ago. Since then it has sat undriven and probably un started even.

Its tires are of unknown size. I was told they are about 8 years old so they are probably too old for this trip and I will need to replace them. It would be helpful to line up a replacement set asap but i dont know what size to get.  This rig isnt where the son can get to it quickly either its an hour away from where he lives. He maybe able to go to it in about a few weeks.

I have a trip planned to go get it in September. Its 1000 miles away. The son of its deceased only owner so far is not equipped to keep it. He is only interested in preserving this particular rig because his dad loved it. He knows I will bring it back to its former glory.

I need information on the 1973 Superior 2000 model  The son knows really nothing to help me with info about its build etc. I have the vin FROM ITS LICENSE REGISTRATION. I do not have the information from the BUILD TAG inside the engine compartment. This 2000 appears to have originally had the Dodge 413/727 drive train and I BELIEVE IT IS AN M300 CHASSIS but Im not sure about its chassis size.

His father changed out the engine in the late 80's or early 90's for an Isuzu Diesel. The year, model or size of that Isuzu diesel engine is unknown. I dont know if its a 4 cylinder or a 5 cylinder or a 6 cylinder diesel Isuzu. I just know its a running diesel Isuzu. I had an Izuzu box truck with a 4 cylinder diesel so I at least know a bit about the 4 cylinder.

I believe this 2000 has the Dodge M300 chassis. It appears to have drum brakes front and rear although I am not certain about that either. I hope it actually has disc brakes but that's a hope. My 1973 2200 has front disc brakes and the 19.5 tubeless wheels with the 5lug nut spaced 8 inches from each other lug pattern. .

I am curious if the 2000 models were ALSO built with  the Dodge M375 chassis. I would like to know the differences between a M300 and an M375 chassis. Specifically what tire size was on each model?
Were the rigs that are 1973 models outfitted with TUBELESS wheels and tires? Or are split rims still going to be possible on a 1973? What size socket takes off the lug nuts of M300 or M375?

Im trying to put together an assortment of tools that will help me drive this rig home so knowing what chassis it has will help greatly with that chore.
Also have "Ethyl" 1955 Ford C600 equipped as a rolling tool store(ETTT)."Brutus" 1972 Ford F250 60k original miles. "Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL Roadster.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Lots of unknowns with this for this year model.  Making assumptions without exact info typically does not work well.

73 was the year Dodge went from the M300/M375 to M300 (RM300), M400 (RM350), M500 (RM400) designations.
M300/M375 used the 318 or 413 engines.
M300 (RM300), M400 (RM350), M500 (RM400), M600 used the 318 or 440-3 engines (440-3 replaced 413 at RM; As described in 74 Motorhome Service Supplement manual, Dodge redefined RM300 to M300, RM350 to M400, RM400 to M500)

Your 73 2200 is an example of all the confusion.  You have a 73 M500 (RM400) chassis with 440-3 but are assuming the 73 2000 is a M300 with 413.  It could be based on the later RM300 chassis also like your your current 73 rig. You need to use the original Dodge VIN number to establish what the original chassis version is.  If it is the earlier 300 chassis it will be split rims.  If it is the later RM300 chassis it will be tubeless rims.

Superior 2000 = 20ft
Superior 2200 = 22ft
Superior 2500 = 25ft

That short 20ft length more than likely is 300 based chassis but given your 2200 is on a M500 (RM400) chassis they could have put a 2000 on a M400 (RM350) chassis.  Again, you need the original Dodge VIN number to start.  This is before you even get to the diesel upgrade.

Brakes can be just as confusing. Dodge transitioned to front disc brakes with the RM series chassis (like your 2200). Pre RM was front drum brakes.  M300 rear brakes are 12x3 which is a different from your current 15x4 brakes.
Now if the new rig was based on a M400 (RM350) chassis then its a whole different brake setup.

Hope you can see that you need more information to establish what you have.
[move][/move]

mytoolman

yes Im hoping that a family member will take a trip to their property where the Superior 2000 is and take some pictures of the tire sizes, the lug nut pattern on the wheels, The bead area for the wheels to see if they are split rim or not and to see if it has drum or disc brakes....and the ID tag inside the the radiator compartment.
He said he would "try" to make it up to that property in the next few weeks....Im trying hard to get everything tool and maybe part wise(maybe things like brake flex lines, a set of wheel cylinders, some grease seals)...so Im ready....

I was hoping to at least learn the size of the lug nuts so I am sure to have the correct size to change a tire if I need to without having to ship an entire set of 1" stuff ahead of me.....Im sending a nice amount of tools ahead but those big sockets are heavy etc

Also have "Ethyl" 1955 Ford C600 equipped as a rolling tool store(ETTT)."Brutus" 1972 Ford F250 60k original miles. "Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL Roadster.

75Travco

I've always liked the looks of the Superior Motorhomes. Simple, clean lines.  And a steel body.

As for getting it home, have you considered hiring a hauler from one of the online services like UShip.com?  As long as the overall height is manageable, the 20' rig is transportable by a big pickup/heavy gooseneck combo.  The haulers in this category are pretty capable and with some flexibility in the schedule so they can get a back haul, the rates can be pretty reasonable.  The parameters need to be fixed in advance - like access for loading, capability to load a non running vehicle, etc.

I've done long distance retrieval both ways - fly out do some wrenching and drive back, and using a hauling service.  (I still remember dropping that last new fuel filter on the side of the PA turnpike and having it roll under an idling 18 wheeler.....). Both ways work. But it would be a lot easier to tackle the unknown tires, brakes, power train, etc. in your shop vs. 1000 miles away.