Is this custom or what??

Started by Winningbago, July 01, 2023, 10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winningbago

On my 1985 p30 Winnebago I have a leafspring that is connected to both lower control arms in the front suspension.

I've searched everywhere online and can't find anything like this or what it would be called...

Eyez Open

Now that right there is pure redneck innovation. It would appear someone has decided to dumb down the suspension a bit.

I'd lose it and be very careful doing so. Very slow and be quite ready for a big boinge...leaf springs can be deadly when tension is suddenly released.

Winningbago

Quote from: Eyez Open on July 01, 2023, 11:45 PMNow that right there is pure redneck innovation. It would appear someone has decided to dumb down the suspension a bit.

I'd lose it and be very careful doing so. Very slow and be quite ready for a big boinge...leaf springs can be deadly when tension is suddenly released.

Thank you for the reply! I know I'd have to take it off anyways to replace the airbags. It's odd how it's shaped though, because it follows the curves of the bottom of the suspension. Just curious what drawbacks you see if I left it on?

Eyez Open

First and foremost GM did not design that into there suspension. Honestly I'm not a engineer,at the same time taking steel springs and tying together a independent suspension together is extremely suspect.

Perhaps tires that are wider,coil springs that are more robust,air bags that are designed to enhance the mfg design might be in order.

This I can tell you...they are a concept that never gained any traction..pun intended. Imagine one corner of the RV engaging a large bump and the other corner forced to respond...your entire front suspension could float...along with a spring failure midway..Very bad results such as a steering wheel having a mind of it's own. Sway bars on the other hand tie/reinforce the frame rails, made of a different steel and are designed to enhance the suspension components totally independent structural changes.

Mlw

I .. have .. no .. words .. !!!

People just never stop to amaze me...

EDIT
In this topic i'm reading this actually is/was a commercial product, but i'm siding with Eyes open on this.

eXodus

Quote from: Eyez Open on July 02, 2023, 11:34 AMThis I can tell you...they are a concept that never gained any traction..pun intended. Imagine one corner of the RV engaging a large bump and the other corner forced to respond...your entire front suspension could float...along with a spring failure midway..Very bad results such as a steering wheel having a mind of it's own. Sway bars on the other hand tie/reinforce the frame rails, made of a different steel and are designed to enhance the suspension components totally independent structural changes.

When you look closely the middle part of the spring is solid attached to the frame - there should be little transfer of force from one side to the other.

Corvettes and Rear wheel Volvos from the 80s used transverse leaf springs - they are not by them self an issue.

But I share your concern - there are three different kind of spring rates now on the front axle
- coil spring
- leaf spring
- air spring (air bag)

Plus when you add gas - shocks - those act also a bit as spring.   
To many variables for my taste.

I got new airbags - new shocks and the front end rides great.  If it sways in the wind or doesn't drive straight. - it's not the suspensions!  you need a bigger swaybar and and bell cranks (or other steering components are worn out)

Winningbago

Hi eXodus, thank you for your comment. I honestly don't know how it rides... I bought it and drove it 70 miles home with a leaky carb that made the interior reek like gas. There were mismatched tires all around, and one went flat. Since then I only drove it to get new tires (about 10 miles) but carb was still leaky so I can't remember much.

Since then I've had the carb professionally sandblasted and replated and dichromated(waiting for that to arrive) I have new Bilstein shocks I haven't installed yet. And all new front end parts (bearings, rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines, master cylinder, hydroboost) that I'm installing within the next couple weeks

When I bought it one of the brake hoses was bad so the whole time driving it home it pulled hard to thr right everytime I braked. Ugh.

Can you tell me what other upgrades you recommend? I've looked into the sway bar bushing upgrades and bell crank. I also have new Firestone airbags (not installed) but I'd have to remove the transverse spring to access lower control arm hole to install

eXodus

Quote from: Winningbago on July 05, 2023, 03:13 AM(bearings, rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines, master cylinder, hydroboost)

that solves already a lot of things.  Look my Hydroboost Update thread:  https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=16339.0

there is a better new Hydroboost from GM available, which essentially bolts right in. Much more stopping power.

Other Todo/Upgrades:
1. Tighten the Steering box
2. Grease the all the Zerks.  There are 20+
3. Get Poly Urethan bushings for both swaybars
4. After your are done with the front airbags - get a 4 corner weights
5. Add SumoSprings in the Rear (you need to know the weight on your rear axle for those) $$
6. Get an Alignment from a shop which deals with P30s regular (Stepvan or Commercial places are good to go)
7. Drive it a for a couple thousand miles.
If you still don't like it at that point you can start spending big money:
8. Upgraded Front Swaybar $$$
9. Rear Trackbar $$$

Hope that helps.