'77 dodge Champion 440 Overheating belt replacement water pump

Started by DatteKans, June 29, 2023, 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyez Open

Just my 2cents, a good running big block runs about 5k easy. The old gauges cannot be relied up at all, there just to old by design.

Get yourself a intake manifold temp sensor and gauge to find out where your really at. A thermal clutch fan while your at it.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/440-aftermarket-temp-sender-location.160144/

BigAlsVehicleEmporium

DatteKans,

I definitely agree, get yourself a $20 IR temperature gun. You can point it at the heads, block, and water pump to confirm operation of your gauge. Even if your gauge works, it might be out of calibration and the IR gun will tell you that too. These engines came with a 195 degree thermostat, so they ought to quickly rise to 195F and then the thermostat will open and the engine should hover within 10 degrees of that temperature.

Adding to the comment about touching the temperature sender wire to ground to check the gauge - only do that for a second or so. Holding it to ground for longer than a few seconds risks damaging the gauge.
1972 Winnebago Brave D20 - 413 V8, A727, Dana 70
"That leaves only me to blame, 'cause mama tried!"

Mlw

IT should hold up, or it's a garbage gauge and you are better off replacing it with a better one.