1976 Brave D-21 Exhaust Manifold need help finding bolts

Started by RoamingRobert, May 03, 2023, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoamingRobert

I had the heads to two of the exhaust maniford bolts snap off clean off! on my 1976 D-21 Brave..... not sure where to start to look for a set of bolts for it (ugh) its the 440 engine.  Also would need the gasket...

My friend that was 'helping' me torque them was using 30 pounds of torque ..... they are very old and probably the original bolts.  Ending is running great these days but now has a slight exhaust leak on the right side and is a bit loud ..... Would like to start of with new hardware.  Thanks

Bob

RockwoodMike

Your biggest problem is getting the stump of the bolt out of the head..There is plenty of Youtube vids of guys welding a nut to the stump..then when that heat is applied with the welding, they are able to twist it out..

As for the bolts to renew the old, some matching length grade 8 bolts should do the job..

Maybe it is time to find some headers to your 440..Make it breath better and cooler under the dog house..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RoamingRobert

don't look like mine.....I will measure them after I get them removed next week.... never mind ... figured it out ..... I'm going to pull a set out tomorrow and just measure them all .....

Elandan2

If it has bolts then they have been replaced. All 440 factory manifolds are attached with studs and nuts. The long nuts go into the thick part of the manifold.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RoamingRobert

mine has both some threaded studs and some hex head bolts but no telling who installed them way back when.... the threaded studs make more sense.

DaveVA78Chieftain

That is the correct stud/nut set for 440 & 440-3.  The stud holes are drilled into the water jackets so they are exposed to water/rust.  Be very careful extracting them (work them back and forth to break loose the rust and/or impact wrench/hammer).  Do not fail to use anti-seize compound when reinstalling the new ones to prevent future issues.  While I know it sounds to low the Exhaust Manifold tightening specs are only 20ft lbs.
[move][/move]