7.4L 454 TBI rebuild

Started by udidwht, April 30, 2023, 11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

udidwht

Just finished rebuilding the TBI on my 1994 GM Southwind Storm. It has 75K on the odometer and runs great. Just figured after 29 years that the TBI deserved some attention. I'll post up some pics of it after I finished rebuilding it. It was amazingly clean given it's the first rebuild it's had. I used a Dremmel and (3) brass wheel brushes to clean the old gasket material off. Prior to installing the new gaskets I coat them with Chapstick to prevent them from sticking.

I also added a fuel adapter fitting in place of the OE inlet fitting . This allows me to connect a fuel schrader valve connection pressure test kit (screw on).

I used the following items:

1.https://marine-performance-parts.com/cfmtechfuelpsiguageadaptorforgmtbi2843505774.aspx

2.https://www.dieselorings.com/schrader-valve-fuel-injection-rated-1-8-mnpt.html
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
P30 454 TBI w/4L80E VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23

Eyez Open

Tbi are pretty basic are they not. Fuel line pressure is rather important good mod in my opinion. A question is your fuel rail on 30psi?

It's pretty amazing to see c.f.m is still active, he was a quite active presence in marine injection at one time

udidwht

Yes the fuel pressure for the 94-95 years differed from earlier years and was 26-32 vs the earlier 9-13psi. The injectors also differed as well. As for the fuel pressure adapter I had to take it off given the Permatex 2 did not seal up the threads very well. Ended up getting 'Gasoila E Seal' and that stopped the leaks.
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23

udidwht

Just finished the first trip (3,XXX miles) since rebuilding the TBI, replacing the AC condenser w/integral oil cooler, front air bags and (2) new out sway bar bushings/brackets.

I had done all this when the odometer was 74,968 and during my trip I noticed the driver's side sway bar bracket broke on the end. Bag pressure was at 50psi and odometer at 77,352. This was in Ukiah, Ca. on my return home (Renton, Wa. to HB, Ca and back). Took the 101 up and back.

Replaced the bracket and check the other bracket which was in good shape. I had checked everything when I arrived in HB and prior to leaving. All were good.

When I arrived in Keizer, Or. I now found the passenger side one broke. Damn! what in the world! Odometer is now at 77,897.

Replaced it and checked driver's side. It was in good condition. The brackets break in the same location right at where they bend from the arm and go up and over the bushing.

The RV rode and ran great with no issue/s.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have the front aligned. The bags are at 50psi. The front drivers side bracket lasted 2,384 miles and the passenger side lasted 2,929 miles. There were no instances of suspension bottoming out and front end is still within spec wear wise after having it inspected.

I ordered some Roadmaster brackets and bushing for the end after having talked to one at Hendersons in Grants Pass, Or. They told me that GM skimped on the brackets buy using to small.

Thoughts?
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23

Eyez Open

Take a close look at the bracket metal itself. Perhaps stress it to point of failure. Metallurgy from certain countries from a unamed country is at a all time low. The cam shaft industry is now in turmoil over core supplies.

udidwht

Update:

I have replaced both the front and rear shocks with upgraded KYB counterparts. The OE ones were shot to say the least. So this may have played a role in the sway bar brackets breaking at each end of the sway bar. I now also have Roadmaster bushings/brackets on the sway bar as well.
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23