p-32 front hub

Started by Rinkydink, April 29, 2023, 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinkydink

Symptom- Right front rotor has runout measuring 8/1000's. This is after replacing parts because the assembly overheated and basically locked the front right wheel.
rear mic.jpg

I replaced rotor, caliper, brake line, races & bearings. The only thing I did not replace was the axle & the hub which leads me to the first question:
workhorse.jpg
hub.jpg 
?1. Does anyone know where to purchase a replacement hub?? Apparently Workhorse discontinued it and I can't find an aftermarket anywhere!

I believe the hub is the issue because I removed the rotor and reinstalled the hub without the rotor and mic'd it front and back. It's the same 8/1000's front and back. I've double checked that the races are seated properly best I can tell. (I've now reassembled that wheel so many times, I can do it with my eyes closed.. or I'm missing something over and over!)     

?#2 If I cannot find a replacement, can the existing hub be machined?
?#3 Can a correction plate be used between the rotor and the hub? If so, where do I get one? (looked for that as well)

Final thoughts/questions... the assembly did get very hot. How likely is it that the hub itself was damaged? it's a solid "chunk" of iron. The only other part could be the axle... is that even possible? I have no idea how to measure/check for that. I would love any input/thoughts... especially if there is a replacement hub out there somewhere!

Thanx guys!!

Mike

RockwoodMike

I have looked on Ebay and Rockauto ..Nothing!! Everyone and their cat has a rear hub..

A good machine shop should have no problem to chuck it up in a lathe..8 thousands is just a skim cut.. ..What about the axle shaft itself

? Does it have any blueing on it where it got hot too??
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1999/chevrolet/p30/brake/brake_rotor.html?rp=brake_rotor_and_hub_assembly

I think the reason the hub itself is no longer available is they replaced it with a one piece unit that has the rotor and hub together..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Rinkydink

Quote from: RockwoodMike on April 29, 2023, 01:51 PMI have looked on Ebay and Rockauto ..Nothing!! Everyone and their cat has a rear hub..

A good machine shop should have no problem to chuck it up in a lathe..8 thousands is just a skim cut.. ..What about the axle shaft itself

? Does it have any blueing on it where it got hot too??

No on blue axle shaft... the binding was at the caliper/rotor. Rotor overheated as did the hub, and the bearings that I replaced had some discoloration,  but really think the axle is fine.

I'm leaning machine shop. Thanks!

Rinkydink

Quote from: RockwoodMike on April 29, 2023, 01:57 PMhttps://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1999/chevrolet/p30/brake/brake_rotor.html?rp=brake_rotor_and_hub_assembly

I think the reason the hub itself is no longer available is they replaced it with a one piece unit that has the rotor and hub together..

I've seen these... but I need a 5 bolt hub. If there's a 5 bolt, maybe it works. Something to look into.

Mike

RockwoodMike

with these links, you are buying a hub and rotor combined into one casting..This new part replaces your

individual hub and rotor..

Rinkydink

Quote from: RockwoodMike on April 29, 2023, 03:35 PMwith these links, you are buying a hub and rotor combined into one casting..This new part replaces your

individual hub and rotor..

Yes, but they show 8 wheel studs... existing only has 5... unless my rim as extra holes, (I don't remember) don't think I could mount the wheel.

Rinkydink

wheel.jpg

Just looked at a pic... my wheel does have multiple mounting holes!!!

Maybe the once piece assembly will work!

I saw them, but was looking for an exact replacement. Will dig deeper,

Thanks!

RockwoodMike

looking down at your tire, it has 8 lugs !!

The 5 lugs are what bolt the hub to the rotor..

The new one piece casting available everywhere does not have the 5 bolts because the rotor and hub are cast into one piece..

RockwoodMike

RockwoodMike

RockwoodMike

I think you are S.O.L.

RockwoodMike

If you are going to try the machine idea, maybe you should also get it magnafluxed ..Check it for cracks..If it got that hot to warp, cracking it might be a possibility

Rinkydink