Spare Tire mount to rear body panel instead of bumper? Anyone

Started by Bonebag, January 15, 2023, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonebag

Ok..so If I put a large, lets say 24x24 piece of 3/4 ply or the like on the inside, then 4 bolt (1/2 or so) bolts to the spare tire mount just below the rear window on a D18 (72)...Do you think it will hold? I'm pretty sure there would be no issue at all but I'm looking for advice as I've never done it and maybe somebody has. I just hate the spare tire coming up off the bumper..just hate it. I would mount it on the roof with maybe a hoist like some dirtbag sailboats have if this won't work :D. I was gonna mount it to the side, and re-enforce with a small steel support on the inside of the closet area but that would require moving the ladder to the other side and re-configuring the tail lights on both sides and kind of a mess. I would mount it to the front but that is almost as pet-peevish, plus I won't be able to put the bicycle rack up there if I need to in that case. Thanks
72 Brave..resto mod - Disk Conversion - Diesel Heater - Air Bags modified to fit - 318 Holley Sniper

Mlw

Well, i just placed a perfect video to answer your question.

Based on the video I wouldn't do it. The whole combiantion of a bracket, tyre and rim is pretty heavy.

Bonebag

Thanks..cool video!!! I'm gonna try and figure something out. Maybe a bracket down from the back interior to the floor would suffice.
72 Brave..resto mod - Disk Conversion - Diesel Heater - Air Bags modified to fit - 318 Holley Sniper