Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Elandan2 on July 18, 2024, 06:58 PMHmmm. Wonder what colour?

See anything you like?? But I reserve the right for final selection :D 
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

LJ-TJ

:)clap Hey Mark, Thanks for allowing this thread to continue. It's one of the best I've ever seen on the site and on this subject. An incredible resource for many of us. Rockwoodmike your doing great. Mark your the best. Thanks

RockwoodMike

Just working on the details like the EGR factory installed block off plate..

There is a problem with the Felpro gasket..

Pic 1 shows all the things needed//Gasket and plate

Pic 2..When you lay down the gasket, it has these big unnecessary holes in comparison to the actual holes for the intake manifold..

Pic 3..Pencil trace of the gasket, shows the ever so slight gap at the top..In other words, it doesn't seal there..Would be a intake leak..

Pic 4..In red are the 2 leaks that this gasket would create..Left side is a intake leak..Right side is a exhaust leak..

Interesting :angry:  $@!#@!

I am looking for exhaust gasket making material..Make a custom gasket without those large holes..

Glad I caught that..Would have a rough idle !-!   
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

The throttle linkage original before the teardown

I will take a bunch of photos on the reinstall

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Unanimous decision on my part for color..Gloss black texture!!

Pic 2..When it comes to bolts, you must clear the threads of the powder coat..Wire wheel on the bench grinder does fine..

Pic3..All the parts..Not all..need to fix a couple of them..worn out..

Pic 4..Manifold down and bolts torqued..I will worry about the EGR later

Time for the valve covers