Broken front windshield Winnebago Brave '93

Started by roma, October 03, 2022, 07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roma

Does anyone knows an adress where we can buy those and are willing to send them to the Netherlands.
The insurance will not cover it and al the quoatations sofar exeeded the 7000 dollar for one wich included placing it.
Thanks sofar.

TerryH

Your windshields are likely flat laminated glass, and as such can be cut to size by any glass shop. They do not have to be 'ordered'.
Both Belgium and Germany manufacture laminated glass (not sure if the Netherlands does) so availability and cost of the raw stock should be plentiful and competitive.
Labor to remove and replace would run in the 2 hour area. Labor to cut around 15 minutes.
Your quote of $7000 is ridiculous.
If your unit is drivable I would suggest you take it to an auto glass shop for an estimate. If not, take photos of the windshield, including good ones of the outside trim and take the to an auto glass shop to see if they will do a mobile replacement.
Another suggestion would be to check with friends and coworkers to see if one may know an auto glass worker that may help you.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

TerryH

Sorry, the above was related to your profile which shows a 1973 Indian. It DOES NOT relate to a 1993 Brave.
Problem with the Brave in your situation is that it is a predominately North American vehicle. Highly unlikely that replacement windshield are manufactured in Europe. When they are manufactured here it may be in a run of 50 units. Windshields for a Ford F150 are likely done in a run of 100,000. Big difference in cost to consumer.
Add in crating, shipping, insurance, etc. cost to you for the Brave unit will be exorbitant.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Mlw

Yes, this is exactly the problem with A class RV's. Lots of parts as made especially for the vehicle.

€ 7.000,= is not ridiculous here in Europe, it's normal. Why do you think I order my parts in the US, even with shipping costs, import taxes and so on it's still a hell of a lot cheaper then buying it in an US carshop in the Netherlands.

@ Roma,
Send an pm to Oliver GER. He is one of the organisers of a big motorhome gathering in Germany. Maybe he can hook you up with somebody (in Germany) or perhaps can help you on a used panel.

eXodus

how broken is it?  Some modern glass repairs can be pretty good even with massive cracks.
Just a regular crack in outside glass of the sandwich can repaired up to multiple inches / CM.  As long as the inner glass is undamaged (finger nail test to the inside)

I had on my 1996 Brave a tree limb hitting the passenger side windscreen and got a bunch of spiderwebs like 16 inches 35cm large cracks - got it repaired and it held up for a couple of years until a tornado teared the roof  l;)

roma

Thank you all for the tips sofar, and I understand the confusion in the first reply about the type of RV .
It is not mine RV but from a good friend.
I am gone contact the german guy and inform aswell about reparing.

greetings Roma

Mlw

Here in the Netherlands (and as far as I know in Europe a "star" in the window (don't know how you call this in America when a pebble hits the glass and leaves a mark) is not allowed to be bigger or longer than 2 cm which is less then an inch. If it is bigger the whole window needs to be replaced.

A crack is not allowed to get any longer then 10cm which is 3.94 inch.

eXodus

Similar for stars (or spider webs) in USA when it it's in the drivers view field. I think it's 1 inch, 2.54cm.

Basically - when it's outside the field where the wipers are - you can repair pretty substantial damages.
As soon as your wiper touching the repair area - much more limited options.

Further, many states don't have any inspections, so people drive around with all sorts of crazy stuff. The only enforcement we got around here are insurance companies which deny claims. There the company has to proof that the crack caused the crash or whatever. Which is pretty hard to do, so repairs are done.

Mlw

Well, those rules are pretty much the same here in the Netherlands as in the USA then. like the crack can be 10 cm's when its outside the wiper area, wereas it's much more limited inside the wiper area.