Headlamp socket rusted badly, need some suggestions.

Started by Adventure, September 09, 2022, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adventure

The drivers side headlamp is loose from the socket, I was told I need to replace the "bucket" but you look at the attached photos you can see a good part of the whole socket assembly is rusted badly, I still have the spring holding it partly in place i also have screw rods that hold it but they don't sit well in the socket I need to come up with a inexpensive and quick solution, maybe more springs to hold it place? I need to do it soon because o need to take the RV for a safety inspection.

Mlw

I would first hit it with a wire grinder to see how bad everything is. As far as the pictures show I do see a lot of rust but a wire grinder can do wonders and you see the real damage. if the parts are not full of holes I would spray paint them and not worry about it to much. Leaving them like this will of course worsen the condition.

If the keepers to hold the spring in place are rusted thru, I think your idea of using more springs is a good idea. Drill holes on which you can attach the spring and reattach.

For the backplate, it looks like it has a crack but if the plate further isn't to bad it can be welded. On the other hand it's not so difficult to reproduce as long as you have the old one as a template.

yellowrecve

Is that a Class A or Class C. Class C would be the same as a van. Class A may even be the same as a van.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

Adventure

I don't have a wire grinder, would a small wire brush work? I don't have access to to many tools and I don't weld so hopefully the springs will do the trick, I have one do I need 4 in total? Thanks.

Adventure

Eyez Open

Would you have a drill? A wire cup brush should be able to cut that up quite nicely..The size of the brush would be important...think tight spaces/corners etc etc.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-wire-cup-brush-with-14-in-shank-60320.html

Mlw

Eyes open beat me to it again  ;)

a wire brush would work too of course you only need to put a lot of elbow grease to it.

A drill would work fine too, but it makes less RPM then an wire grinder so it will take more effort. However with fine work a drill is better because of the lesser RPM

Adventure

Yes I have a corded one. I guess I'll go buy a wire cup, what about the springs how many do you think I need to hold in place in the right spot? Thanks

Mlw

is your RV this one?

If it is, I think its best to contact Winnebago or Winnebagoparts. I have a class C RV which is based on the Van chassis and then parts are plentiful. This however is a Class A and then chances are those headlights are vehicle specific.

you probably can ask for an exploded parts drawing at Winnebago. Then you'll know what you need or maybe it's even somewhere here on the forum.