Converting trans parking brake to rear wheels?

Started by Bonebag, September 06, 2022, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonebag

72 dodge m300. Has anyone moved their transmission parking brake to the rear wheels? No real parts available for the current set up. Looks like the gear vendor comes with a new brake, not the cheapest route but a solution nonetheless. Thanks !!
72 Brave..resto mod - Disk Conversion - Diesel Heater - Air Bags modified to fit - 318 Holley Sniper

cbowles

YES. I did just that because even when working the original parking brake doesn't hold much.

I got a rear axle brake kit that is made for dirt track/demolition derby. Its's a simple off the shelf disc and caliper and you supply a master cylinder ( I got it from Summit Racing)

Here is one example:

https://www.quickperformance.com/Weld-On-Disc-Brake-Kit_p_16007.html

There was no bracket for the Dana 70 HD so I had to weld the brackets to hold the caliper to the axles tubes. Its possible somebody makes a bracket for the Dana 70, I could not find it

The disc mounts on the driveshaft where it connects to the differential- driveshaft mod required

It works really good and holds very well

Bonebag

I'm trying to figure out how to reply..the new style has the new replies on top instead of on the bottom. Silly thing but kinda messing with my chi. Anyway..so you actually just installed rear disc brakes not a parking brake (or disc brakes with parking brake) and junked the drums right? Can't seam to find any kit that mounts on the driveshaft. Thanks
72 Brave..resto mod - Disk Conversion - Diesel Heater - Air Bags modified to fit - 318 Holley Sniper

Oz

Hm.  On my chrome browser on windows 10, the newer replies appear at the end.  Same on my Android phone.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Sasquatch

In your profile you can change the setting and go back to the original view with the new posts at the bottom.

RANGERRICK

Hello
I have some of the old parts for the emergency brake on the drive shaft if you are still in the need.