1970 Explorer W/ 413 Parts (Fuel Issue)

Started by bigskypc50mt, September 01, 2022, 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskypc50mt

Long rambling post.....

Greetings everyone, I need of some help. I bought myself a 1970 Explorer M25 little class A RV, with only 37K miles on a 413. Was sitting since 2015 so it's got leaks and water damage. Got the roof sealed up pretty well and went onto working on the drive train.

Right now I am having a heck of a time finding parts for this rig. Rockauto NAPA and the normal suspects don't list a 1970 Dodge M/MB300 with a 413 only a 383. So I can't find a fuel pump for it, or even plugs wires cap rotor for that matter. The issue I am having now is after sitting for a while (like overnight) the system will lose it's prime. The engine will crank and crank and crank and crank. Before it starts, With a little starting fluid it will pop off right away. But still takes a crazy amount of time to start pumping fuel. I assume it's a weak pump. It has a dual tank setup so there is a lot of line and the manual selector.  It also won't stay running when warmed up, but I suspect that's from it having no fuel filter and the seller somehow getting it run on orange colored varinsh deck stain that use to be gas. So the carb will need a kit I am sure. Dude also ran the engine for 15/20mins on super old jet black engine oil. Not too happy about that.. LOL... hope no engine damaged happened.

Anyway anyone have part numbers for the fuel pump plugs wires cap rotor and any other parts I should change after a long long nap in a field.

Thanks   

Oz

1962 - 1973 points ign. system all models parts list for tune up as follows;
Cap  Echlin part # MO2
Rotor Echlin part # MO5
Points set Echlin part # CS851
Ignition Coil Echlin part # IC17
Ballast Resistor Echlin part # ICR23 for 2-prong, and part # ICR24 for 4-prong
Wires;  '66-'71 413 eng. Belden part # 700170,'72-'77 413 eng. part # 700106, '72-'79 440 eng. Belden part # 700159

Distributor & wires. Available through Summit Racing or Jegs
The wires and plugs are available using crossover numbers.

The fuel pump is the same as the 440.
https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=81.0

Some members have added an electrical fuel pump as well.
There's a lot of info on that here. Use the search in the upper right.
413 fuel pump. Select "google" from the dropdown.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca