1981 G30 AC components needed/ info wanted

Started by Tgfeller, August 31, 2022, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tgfeller

I recently purchased a 1981 Minnie Winnie with a Chevy G30 chassis. The last owner removed the AC compressor after it seized years ago and condenser when he put in a new radiator. Needless to say the hoses are gone as well. The only things I have in are the wiring, evaporator and accumulator which I'll obviously be replacing. The compressor mounts to the drivers side of the engine and I don't have the mounts for that either.

My question is does anyone know what condenser years fit on that chassis or if another Chevy truck year might fit. A bonus if anyone can lead me to a place to find the parts on has that similar style set up with the drivers side AC and can send me pictures of the condenser etc.

Worst case I can have the lines made and find scrap bracket to work with the compressor, but I'm having a bear of a time finding the condenser. Any help appreciate and if you have a Chevy chassis years 1980-1984 I'd love to see or hear about how your condenser is placed and hoses routed.

Thanks!

eXodus

Hello and Welcome.

so nothing on a G30 for the A/C parts is RV specific.  It's all Chevy stuff as far as I know.

You can go to any place or resources and just look for Chevy G30 Van parts from the year range

I remember the Chevy Express Vans had been made with many carry over parts from the G30.
At least my 5.7L Vortec Express 3500 has the Compressor on the driver side.  Might be worth checking if you can upgrade with more modern parts. 

I'm currently adding some improved Chevy Express parts to my P30 RV.  The Express van is a late 80s design - which you can still buy new today.  Great when hunting for parts for old Chevy RVs.

Tgfeller

Thanks I'll look at the Chevy Express for potential usage, do you know your year? My issue is looking at Rockauto, Napa, etc there are no condensers for 1980-1982 Chevy G30 chassis and other component types. The radiator support on newer vehicles may be different than mine that would prevent a drop in fit without fabricating my own mounts. I'm surprised how it seems this year range seemed to have dropped off the earth. The problem is without seeing a factory set up without the items removed, I have a hard time knowing what to get

Mlw

Are chevy trucks also not based on p30?

IT's not the cheapest option but mayby this is the thing for you, and you have a modern version of airconditioning.

https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/complete-kits/?make=Chevrolet&year1=1981&model=Truck

eXodus

"based" is a strong word, they are parallel products from what used to be the same truck division within General Motors.

The P30 is a Medium to Heavy Duty Truck.  And the Pickup Trucks are Light Duty (maxing out a 9990lbs total weight)

They share a lot of parts, if that is what you are referring to:  Engines, Breaking Systems, rear axles, Hydroboost, Power Steering components, Fuel System. Dash Gauges.

What is different:  the front steering and suspension setup - the P30 is a forward Cab (you sit above the front axle), while the Pickups are conventional - sitting rear of the front axle. The Frames are different - while more modern GM Pickups and Vans have Boxed frames- the P30 is a C-Channel.

The G30 - or Express Van Cutaway Chassis are like Hybrids,  the Cab is all standard Chevy stuff from the Vans - and the Frame underneath is medium duty (with C-Channel when I remember correctly) so the Cutaway chassis are closer related to the P30 then to a regular Pickup.