MOryde tag axle 1982 vintage

Started by Eyez Open, August 30, 2022, 05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyez Open

Trying to refresh  a MOryde tag axle,  part numbers have almost vanished from history but I am making progress. Now I am having a issue with rear oil seals, a Dexter seal is 50 per seal, now that's inflation. I've been able able to find a SKF that will work, now here is the issue. The Dexter is a double seal, the SKF is a single seal. This tag axle is not a boat trailer, it sees no water submerssion...so why the double seal? I do not mind paying for good bearings at all, but 100 dollars for two oil seals.. ???

SKF 22550
DEX 10-56

Ok 85 at Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-010-056-00-Wheel-HD-15K-AXLES/dp/B0789J1WX1

https://www.amazon.com/SKF-USA-22550-Grease-Seals/dp/B000EPP9Z2

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Eyez Open

Ya think!...LMAO. The Dexter seal I posted is made for a oil bath bearings lubrication design, the tag axle uses plain old grease packed bearings...meaning the tag does not need those high priced wonders. The only thing I can reason as to why the Dexters  were in the current hubs would be more is better....who knows

I'm using the SKF for now and will keep my eyes on them for awhile, I may have to revisit them in a few yrs however. The adventure moves on.

Interesting tag Info: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23338669/srt/pa/pging/1/page/33.cfm

Eyez Open

Pulled the shocks off the TAG setup, all four the same shock type. I find it odd the trailing tag would have such a heavy shock it really does not carry any large amount of weight. Below are the direct replacements but for one. The Monroe gas magnum..
Using a gas shock is a question I have in the back of mind..any thoughts out there?

Original Morryde shock: Meaco U0109-4

1. MONROE 66903 - Magnum Shock Absorber...Gas

2. GABRIEL 83400 - Fleetline 83 Series Heavy Duty Shock Absorber

Morryde Rubber Spring No. M0025-02

https://www.monroeheavyduty.com/downloads/catalog/2016-2018-MonroeCV-RecreationalVehicles.pdf

Oz

Gas shocks seem the way to go if the vehicle suspension is going to take a regular beating, like 4x4s. They don't fade or foam like oil filled. Just my opinion: nice upgrade but I'm not sure there would be any improvement in performance.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Eyez Open

This tag has rear coil springs, information on the type of coil seems to be non existent. Might anyone be aware of replacement type? Air bags are available but this refresh is becoming overly expensive and cutting costs are essential.

eXodus

The Shocks seem to be normal. Not particular heavy duty.

Do not underestimate how much load the tag axle will carry once in a while - think -you drive over a tall short bump in the road.  For a split second the tag axle might carry most of the rear end.  That's why it gets the same shock as regular axle.

I got the Monroe Magnum Gas RV 557004 Shock Absorber under the rear of my RV .  Seem to be doing fine, they are a lot thicker then what come out.

Every modern shock is Gas - they still have fluid inside - it's just pressurized. At the rear I wouldn't worry, it's so far away that that it shouldn't impact your ride feeling. But it gives more control over those wanky RVs

Eyez Open

I ended up going with the Gabriel shocks. This old RV sits on rubber shear springs,steel coil springs and finally the shocks. To many variables to make any intelligent decision...LMAO maybe better said tinkeritis needs to be held at bay here. Below is commentary on there design

Designed as a direct replacement for the original equipment shock, FleetLineā„¢ shock absorbers by GabrielĀ® provide a valving rate that compensates for initial truck suspension softening, providing performance that better matches the original ride. Built with original equipment quality components and 10 stage valving to ensure superior performance throughout the life of the shock, it also reduces wear and tear on other costly suspension and vehicle parts.

tarifachris

You should post some nice photos...

I replaced all my shocks in 2020 and was surprised that the shocks weren't expensive. The Tag Axle shocks were 50$ the pair. The Rear Axle shocks were 90$ the pair.

Replacing shocks Rear Axle and Tag Axle

The previous owner of my Holiday Rambler had to replace the bearings, seals and all Tag Axle Drum brake parts and it wasn't cheap... I still have the Invoice.

Eyez Open

There was a lot to accomplish this summer,along with unplanned speed bumps. The pictures suffered as a result. But I have a few, note the rear broken shock mount just one of the speed bumps.

The last picture is the tag brakes, literally rusted and frozen in time. The good news would be there is no mechanical wear, the not so good news would be the hydraulics are junk. A job that I will take on next season.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/gabriel,83400,shock+absorber,7556