Help, Side Entry Door Broke Off Hinges, Now What?

Started by Adventure, August 17, 2022, 10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adventure

Here's one you don't hear everyday, the side door top and middle hinges were so rusted that today they broke and the door is left with one good bottom hinge, the door isn't looking so good either, the metal frame that is on the inside part of the door where the hinges are is bent out of shape, it's not aligned and it doesn't align well with the screen which seems ok. I started to panic and considered calling a mobile RV repair, but what could they possibly do on such short notice? I got out my mallet and pounded on the top bent hinge till I could get it aligned enough with the frame and close it, I locked it but I'm not sure it's locked and I don't want to test it. Now I'm stuck with a door that can't be used and could fall off it's last hinge when I move the RV. I need to go the most cost effective route which would be replacing the broken hinges and trying to align the door properly so that it closes and locks, If I don't need to replace with original hinges, than I found these https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-2020102629-Friction-Hinge-Entry/dp/B08R7VZRXQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=rv%2Bdoor%2Bhinges and I"m wondering if they will do the trick? Is it a Lippert Door? If I can find the right hinges, what makes more sense to take the door off and replace the two broken hinges, or to leave the existing hinge which is hardly rusted and install hinges without taking the door off, if that is possible. I will post a couple of pictures of the hinges if that helps, I need to get this figured out by Sunday when I'm supposed to move the RV, also expecting rain. Please help with any ideas or suggestions you may have that might work. Thanks with one thing after another with all that's been going wrong with this rusty old rig, I"m coming unhinged myself :)

Elandan2

Your door was manufactured by Winnebago. The hinges are part # 106719-01-05A (white) or 106719-01-01A (mill finish) To find out whether that part is still available, you will have to contact a Winnebago dealer. As an aside, to find part numbers for your motorhome, go to this page on the Winnebago site and look up your particular rig.  https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Adventure

Thanks I will check, that part is actually on Amazon but it's currently unavailable. I'm going to check RV salvage yards and see if they have any they are willing to ship. I ordered the Lippert friction hinges should get them today I doubt they will fit what makes the Winnebago hinges different is the screen door connects to them as you can see in this photo, with the mscreen door closed I am able to have the door wide open held by the latch. I'm also able to close and lock the door albeit only being on one hinge not much security but if I have to go a few miles back and forth the door should stay securely in place I would think. Unfortunately the Lippert hinges will not work with this door, I'm looking at some kind of mod just so I have some kind of connected hinge, also I talked to a Winnebago dealer the OEM hinges are available and need to be ordered they are $89 a piece, no idea how soon I can get them. So looks like I have no choice to pay for at least 2 of them 170 bucks, ouch.

Adventure

In case this thread is still being watched. I installed the friction hinges, they don't work with this door but something is better than nothing, As you can see in the attached photo I bit the bucket and orderered 2 Winnebago hinges, I have them, they don't come with screws or anything just the hinges, so I hope the old screws will work or I may have to hope my local Ace has them. So now comes the challenge of changing the two busted hinges without taking the door off, since I have to do it by myself with maybe my wife spitting me. I'm open to any suggestions, I'm going to try doing it with leaving the friction hinges hold the door, it's going to get tricky when I have to separate the door from the screen door since that and the last hing are all that's been holding the door up, I'm not going to over think it but at the same time I'm going to study the problem from all angles and see what options I have. I'll update as soon as I can.

TerryH

You can do it yourself without removing either door. Do the center hinge first without removing the top temporary friction hinge, then the top. When I did mine I used 3/16 rivets with a 1/4 grip for the screen door. If I remember correctly the entry door screws were 1/4 X 20..... very common.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore