82 p30 chassis w/ Dana 80 axle...Im lost..Update to: Not so much anymore.

Started by Eyez Open, August 16, 2022, 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyez Open

83 Holiday Rambler
33 feet
Mor Ryde suspension & tag axle

Im believe i am having a senior moment here, being short i can find no possible way to remove the bearings out of the brake hub. Take that a bit further im not to sure the rig has a Dana 80 rear end but the actual axles are something ive never seen before...And that is not saying to much!... W%

Updated

Little update and a glimmer of light, it seems apparent now the previous owner upgraded the rear suspension to a Dana 80 rear end and a Mor Ryde system. So the journey still moves on, the below thread shines some light on the setup. A place to start, I only can hope this is not a aftermarket setup. The current bearings and races seem to be in good working order, so for now I will reassemble the system and move on.

The Mor Ryde rubber suspension is in sad shape, so when I address that I will have have some type of direction on the bearings in that hub.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/great-rear-rotor-video-231579.html

eXodus

Looks like it's pressed in. But difficult

To get it out you likely need a hydraulic press from the inside. Watch some YouTube videos.

Or just get another new break hub with new bearings.

Eyez Open

I've been able to find a reference point, although it does not address the bearings it is a place to start. Those bearings...you would have to see the setup, they float in the hub, there are small stops that hold them into place, very different but they are smooth as butter so for now I'm just replacing the rear seals. What is odd would be the original rotors,calipers and pads seem to fit quite well onto this upgrade... So far that is.. W%

eXodus

When they are running smoothly why change?

Rear wheel bearings are usually far less prone to breaking then the front ones. They get good lubrication and cooling with gear oil.

The front gets grease and poor cooling. So that's why they burn out more often

Eyez Open

Why...The suspension components  both front and back were both literally worn out. The previous owner simply drove the wheels off and let her set. Most of my recent restorations have been with boats, the learning curve there is steep or expensive. One overlooked system can cost you a very expensive tow bill, my sense would a RV would fall into the same category.
I wanted that bearing in my hand for a good look and feel to just how worn they might be...pitted abraided or just wear patterns. Aside from that in 5 yrs I suspect parts will no longer be available.

I've learned the bearings come out thru the bottom. Remove the oil seal and the bottom bearing drops like a rock. Exposing a large clip that retains the upper bearing. As of now all is good.

I've found a link that seems to support this suspension.

https://www.millsupply.com/stepvan-parts/chassis-suspension-steering-driveline/chassis-parts-gm-workhorse/rear-end-parts/rear-end-components-dana-80-513-with-19-5-wheels-4-wheel-disc-1997-2005/

https://www.airforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=412088&d=1645104309

Eyez Open

Another speed bump, shocks for the rear duallys. Based upon what I've seen so far they have not been replaced. The mounts are not common, would anyone have any insights here other than Mor Ryde? There are no casting numbers left.

Eyez Open

Well here is something new to me.

1. Welded crack?
2. Casting flaw?
3 Old hat move on.

Any thoughts here?

Eyez Open

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Eyez Open

That was my first thought, but looking close ive never seen nothing like it. That crack at first glance is uh ohh. But a close up look and it actually looks like lapped steel...i took a pick of the top of the hub and no cracking what so ever..If one had a sharp crack then filled it with solder and let time corrode any edges away..that is what it look like up close...Not a hairline crack present..Note the barrel is not out of round, no deformation that i can find..the bearings fit the cast perfectly.

eXodus

The shock looks common,

I've seen that style under semi and medium duty trucks.

Take it out and go to a truck parts store. 
Maybe a 70 series Monroe.

Eyez Open

Thank you I have little experience with shocks, the mounting style is a big thing and now I can see with heavy duty truck line as you mentioned. So now it's just a matter of selecting a shock with the proper dimensions and weight ratings...

eXodus

length and extension (full extended vs all the way closed) must but a close match.
Diameter not so much.  Sure it must fit in, but modern shocks are quite a bit thicker.

I've put new Monroe Shocks  - Magnum RV 557004 on the back of my P30   and they where massive compared with the stuff which came from the factory in the 90s
Rides a whole lot better then  :)clap

Eyez Open

That hub turned out to be a casting defect, however I have a heavy truck guy coming to look at it. This rear end work is becoming a real peachy job, Mor Ryde parts are very hard to come by, and the rubber springs prices have doubled...But I believe I have uncovered the shocks so far I just need to call Mor Ryde one last time.

Eyez Open

So now onto the rear tag , it's a bundle of joy. I was quite lucky here the brake shoes&drums were still in good condition,the drum surfaces are smooth as glass as are the shoes...worn yes. Only a few issues, no parts numbers on the oil seals and it seems the previous owner met a rather large speed bump. The hub above is on the drivers side, the blown shock below is on the passengers side. The adventure continues...I'm betting 50:1 the tag hydraulics are fubar.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca