727 Trans Change or no Change Fluid

Started by LJ-TJ, July 24, 2022, 06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

440 over heating. Should I change the tyranny fluid or not. Open to suggestions? Hm?

Elandan2

Like the old Fram commercials, "you can pay me now or pay me later..." Transmission fluid is cheap, transmissions, not so much.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

Hm? So I'm thinking of adding an aux electric fan with the intention of cooling the water in the rad which cools the tranny fluid.??? The bago rad is 25" wide by 22" tall. Any suggestions on what size rad would be appropriate. P.S. Hey Sob! You do a great job with this site. Thanks Mate.

Elandan2

Maybe you would be better off adding an auxiliary transmission cooler in line with the cooler in the radiator. Depending on how you use the rig, if you don't use it in the cold weather, you could eliminate the cooler in the radiator completely. That would reduce the load on the radiator. Is the radiator in it now needing replacement? How about getting it re-cored?
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Eyez Open

Many opinions on this subject. I for one stick with the original setup. A big block is tourqe driven. Some little fan is not going to bind it in any manner. Nor horsepower, the cam and heads greatly restrict airflow to create velocity. Hmm sounds confusing but it is what it is.

Now a high winding 350 turning over 4500 rpm yes but that is a totally different design Your stock setup is fine, spend the money on your carb...money that will yield much better results or perhaps your distributor recurve. Quite a bit has been done in those area's

Below is a video notice the numbers....some of the hyperbole is annoying..4500rpm is a place your 440 will rarely visit. Now that video did post torque loss most do not. :)rotflmao

https://youtu.be/ZXdLgaFXZzs

Oz

I added an aux cooler. Just had to connector size adapters.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca