New to forum, hoping to source some knowledge and support!

Started by Vailshred, July 11, 2022, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vailshred

Hey everyone
I am full time in Denver but currently am working in a 1969 318 winne in Big Pine CA.

I personally own a 1975 440 D-21 for about a year

I also have a 1976 D-21 that I bought from a neighbor for parts. This one had no motor or trans/driveshaft or front engine accessories.

I was asked to do a cummins swap on a 1969  d-22 318 which I am in the process of doing.

I am hoping to find out the rear differential's gearing if anyone knows.

I will also have up for sale the parts removed from the 69 which include the radiator, complete and running 318 with 90k on it, transmission, driveshaft among other parts that will be deleted to complete the swap.

In Denver (which I will be going to every other weekend) I have parts from the 76 if anyone is looking... these will be mostly interior parts but I do have some stuff for driveline. Just post what your looking for.

The donor for the swap is a 1999 ram 3500 24v 4x4.

If anyone has done this swap or is familiar please let me know!

Im pulling motor and transmission this Wed the 13th and hoping to test fit the 5.9 Thursday.

I will try my hardest to stay disciplined and keep a thread updated with pictures and descriptions of my journey.

Vailshred

Mlw

Nice job!

With the 4X4, does this also mean that you are making the RV a 4X4 also or do you just use the engine?

What's the beast next to the RV you are rebuilding by the way?

LJ-TJ

There was a chap on here who did an extensive article  on his install of a diesel in a earlier Winnebago. Photos and all. I'm sure someone on here could give you a link to it. Might be some good ideas you may not have thought of. Hm?

Oz

It's a sticky topic at the top of this message board.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Vailshred

Thanks guys, I have made some progress and have been doing a ton of research.

Yes, I am doing the 4x4 conversion also.

I was going to use the Ram's front and rear differentials BUT the amount of work to convert the front to leaf spring is not worth it.

Im in the process of getting a dana 60 front diff from a 70's Ford to install and as of now I will be gearing it to 4:10. Anything higher will give the overdrive problems setting in.

I test fitted the 24v and it fits great.

The D22's front axle is currently removed for the conversion and I will be fabbing up and welding in the new motor mounts this week along with transmission crossmember.

The factory motor mount location on the 318 d22 were pretty far forward. I will assume because the 318 motor is pretty light. The engine mounting brackets in the engine were also way forward.

On the diesel motor the mounts are pretty much centered on the engine and I will be moving the frame brackets back about 5" to center them over the axle/differential.

This will give me the room I need for all the cooling accesories.

Here is a link to some of my progress

https://share.icloud.com/photos/012ADFVF55w9APCpYC42KBFVQ

Vailshred

Oh, also I had to remove the dual vacuum boosters off the inside frame rail, I will be relocating the booster to the drivers side wheel well like the 70's models.

I have the 76 parts rv to grab the parts from along with installing a new master cylinder. I will also be swapping the brake lines instead of having new ones  custom bent.

Eyez Open

You have strapped on quite a project,  hopefully this transition will go smoothly. Lmao oh to be young again that high speed video literally provoked pain in my hands and knees.

Mlw

LJ-TJ

Great project. Tough road a head. Going to be watching with great interest Hm?