M400 - Need bowden shift cable

Started by Winn_Brave_1980, November 15, 2008, 10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winn_Brave_1980

Sent: 4/26/2005 11:34 AM

First of all, sorry for my English  !!

I am a German which actually bought a 1980 Winnebago Brave (model WDF26RH)  built on a M400 Dodge chassis (VIN M40CK9T).

Now I have the issue to replace the damaged bowden cable for the automatic transmission  .

Hmmm .. I don't know whether I found the correct wording ... I am not able to go from the parking position to a drive position !!

Know's one of you a dealer who can deliver such parts or do one know the order number???
Thank you a lot for your help!!!

DanD2Soon

Sent: 4/26/2005 12:25 PM

Is it actually damaged? Or has it just fallen out of its retainer bracket down near the Bell Housing beneath the Motor home.

About once a season, mine just falls out of that bracket - it almost always happens with the transmission in PARK and Usually when I've been running for a while so it is really HOT crawling around under there. Symptoms are same as you describe - Stuck in PARK & won't shift to any other gear.

The bracket has two "fingers" that a slotted collar on the cable slips/pops into.

Good luck,
DanD

denisondc

Sent: 4/26/2005 12:42 PM

The part is called a Shifter Cable, und auch the Dodge motor home chassis parts catalog calls it a Control, Cable, Gearshift. The newest 7 digit mopar # in the catalog is for a 1972 chassis - # 3641309. I do not know if that would be the same for a 1980 motorhome.
You could send an email to an online seller of mopar OEM parts, his email is dartman67XX@XXaol.com, (löschen Sie bitte das XX XX aus dem email address).
I have good luck getting rare parts from him. His name is Scott Vadnais, he is located in Minnesota. I pay him with a money order. He has most of the parts books, if you can not get a good part number.
The -shifter- is the part which mounts on the dashboard. The -shifter cable- is what connects from there to the lever on the transmission. I bought my shifter cable from him several years ago. It cost me $108. U.S.D.
Before I got the new shifter cable, I removed the original shifter cable and soaked and cleaned and lubricated the inner cable. I straightened the bent part as well as I could, and re-installed it. I installed a long spring to pull on the end of the cable at the transmission - the spring pulls toward the rear of the motorhome. This worked O.K., until the new shifter cable arrived in the mail. If your shifter cable is not badly bent (eine schliefe? schlaufe? eine torsion?) you could try the temporary solution.
Tell us if you still do not find a new shifter cable.
good luck

Derrek

Sent: 4/26/2005 12:43 PM

The Part Number is 3641309 and a new cable can be purchased at www.chryslerpartsdirect.com  for $88

Winn_Brave_1980

Sent: 4/26/2005 2:44 PM

Unfortunally the cable is really broken and no longer to use!
Thanks to all of you for the given help, I have immediatly contacted all dealer and ... fingerpress .. I hope, they can help me!!

Cooneytoones

Sent: 4/26/2005 7:57 PM

In my parts catalog (From 69 up to 1977) they list 2 different part numbers, There are  5 transmission listed according to the A727 Transmission Assembly Numbers..... (TAN)

TAN  2953738  & TAN  2961920  both take part No. 2830500

Tan 3496936 / TAN 3496940 / TAN 3640802 all 3 take
part No. 3641309

Timmy

Winn_Brave_1980

Sent: 4/28/2005 7:43 AM

First response: www.chryslerpartsdirect.com gave a negative feedback! The shelter cable is no longer available

No response until now from dartman67XX@XXaol.com (ohne XX)

May be I found one in Germany which is able to build a copy of the damaged one

Sybille

Winn_Brave_1980

Sent: 5/2/2005 10:11 AM

Success!! dartman67XX@XXaol.com gave a positive response on this!!

It will cost $98.99 (without shipping to Germany :-) )

Thanks to all again!!!

Cheers, Sybille

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 7/18/2008 10:34 PM

Well this is another thing I have worked on this Summer.  My shift cable stuck while shifting down into 1st and then bent the inner cable where it connects to the dash shift lever shifting into the other gears.  I removed the cable, lubed and straightened it but still needed help.  This is on my '73 Indian W/440.  Once home, I called the local Dodge dealer's with the 3641309 number and found 5 of them about 45 miles from home.  I also ask about the 2830500 number but was told that uses the 3641309 cable.  My cost was $85.00 and works great,   Les

denisondc

Sent: 7/19/2008 3:20 AM

Much thanks for the info and source. And there is an ebay seller who apparently is able to make them or get them: sc68cuda. He has two lengths, 92" and 102". One is item # 300229482498 . I advise everyone having an extra. I consider it only matter of time before they will 'kink' on you. Mine did years ago, on a chilly morning.

TEAMFALCON

Sent: 9/3/2008 1:13 PM

Mine "kinked".  I found one online for $150 bucks!

I tried fixing it myself, but no dice.

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/3/2008 1:27 PM

What problems are you having?  On mine it was not a big job to replace it,   Les

TEAMFALCON

Sent: 9/3/2008 2:14 PM

Well, I wanted to 'fix' the kink, but couldn't.  I was trying to avoid having to purchase a new one since the cable isn't 'broken', just bent.

Should I just purchase a new one?  Removing it is not that difficult.

Thanks!

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/3/2008 6:06 PM

Thats just what mine did. Of course I was a couple of hundred miles away from home at the time.  I took the cable out and straightened and lubed it real good all night, and it looked like it should work, but it kept bending.  The way I drove home was to have the shift lever hanging out of the dash and I could help it into N or P when I needed to.  If I were you I would call the local Dodge dealers and check on part # 3641309.  Mine ended up costing less at the dealer than anyplace else, just a couple of months ago.  And I took the old one in to check the length of the new one before buying it,  Les

denisondc

Sent: 9/3/2008 6:21 PM

Purchasing a new one would be the best solution. However, being cheap.... I removed my cable when it kinked. I was able to 'reverse-bend' the kink ...somewhat... but it was still kinked. After working the cable back and forth (many many times) while dripping marvel mystery oil into it, it got to where it seemed somewhat useable. I reinstalled it, and added a hardware store spring to help it; from where the lever on the tranny connects to the end of the shifter cable. The other end of the spring was wired to a hole in the frame further to the rear. The spring was a long one, perhaps 6"-8" long, not quite as bulky as the kind that used to be on wooden screen doors. It had enough tension to help pull the cable back (when you would be shifting from drive up into neutral-reverse-park),. The spring didnt have enough tension to pull the cable back. That is, it stayed in park or whatever gear I put it in.
That was at least a dozen years ago. I later bought a new shifter cable, and have it for the inevitable day my temporary 'fix' needs re-fixed.
While you are underneath working the cable out, check that your transmission cooler lines are rusted much. I had replace those at one point.

TEAMFALCON

Sent: 9/23/2008 1:58 PM

I purchased a new cable NOT the original.   It works fine.  But I now the 'shifter' is a nob that I push/pull. (It wasn't long enough).

The cable was less than $100.  Heavy duty.

Thanks for everyones help.

LJ-TJ

LJ-TJ

Wildman5977

I had mine break on my 1977 Executive with a left front cap separation/bl,blowout, I took it to NAPA and they sent it out and had a replacement made, works great

capnschmdty

Hello I tried emailing the address and it keeps coming back, I did remove the xx
Have you recently gotten any parts from him
Capnschmidty@gmail.com