Norcold 900 series issues, freezer not cooling enough

Started by Adventure, June 21, 2022, 02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adventure

Our Norcold 982 electric gas frig has been having cooling issues lately a moment it's 50 in the freezer with a bag of ice before I put the ice it was around 60  it doesn't help it's almost 86 degrees outside with 73 percent humidity and lows in the uppers 70's to 80 At first the fridge part wouldn't cool and I checked the thermistor and replaced it for the second time after that than the Freezer part wouldn't get cold I've checked the coils and they were hot, the other day we went to the beach and overnight on propane it started to cool so I figured it "burped" itself, there is no yellow residue coming out, no ammonia smell, my guess is there is welder sludge stuck and the element needs to be replaced, we already bought a little mini fridge so that's probably going to be our only option to keep food fresh unless...

Oz

If you've used it even semi-regularly, it shouldn't need burping. However, if it hasn't, it's at least worth a try to do it.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Adventure

I understand, well at the moment with a bag of ice in it the temp has gone down to 32 F, outside temp is now 83 F,  coils are moderately hot, I can't help wondering if it's a combo of the ambient extreme temp and a work door gasket?

eXodus

how is the airflow in the rear compartment?

I'm in Hot Florida and my Fridge needs a Fan in the back for support - otherwise it's not keeping stuff frozen.

When you got the Sun backing on the side of the fridge - even worse.   There are tons of Fridge Fans for the back commercial available or just DIY with an old computer fan.

Adventure

Now the freezer went up to 50, Well I have the vent cover off, I bought one of those deluxe dual fans off eBay for 60 bucks  a couple months ago, one died and the other is still working but I pulled the blade off to see how it is to fix the one that died and I glued the blade back on and it's sort wobbling, I didn't really notice a difference when they were working. Gonna be leaving shore power for the next day and switching to propane we'll see if it goes back down, it usually does

eXodus

so if it works on propane and not one shore power - you got an issue with the electric heating element.

Those things die once in a while.  Not expensive and fairly easy to get to.

Adventure

No it works on shore power it just doesn't get as cold, right now we just got back on shore power and I forgot to leave it on propane overnight  and the temp went up but as soon as I plugged into shore powers the coils heated up and the screws inside started to cool,  I guess I should change that gasket first.

Adventure

Well what do you know, last night we had a bit of a cooling, so I took off the outside cover and today it's at 30 F degrees and holding with 83 F degrees outside.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Adventure

Well considering the outside temps and humidity jumped  in the last 24 hours and now the freezer is at almost 60 I would have to say inadequate overnight  cooling due to the lows being around 80 with high humidity, which I suppose could also be related to inadequate ventilation? By the way when we had the short cooling it got down to 20 in the freezer.