Hazard lights not working

Started by Jupp318, June 21, 2022, 03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jupp318

HI, I've done a search and can't find a post covering my problem. I've recently had an issue with grounding at the rear of my rig (1985 Chieftain 27) which I think I've now fixed. Turn signals work fine but no Hazards. Is there another relay for the Hazards, if so where might I find it and what does it look like?. I've found the turn signal one and as I said that' working fine. Any thoughts? Does the hazard light switch reside on the turn signal switch in the steering column or is it a separate switch? Any help as always will be most appreciated.
Cheers Ian...

Mlw

Yes, the Hazard lights are from a different relay, When you think of it its logical. Blinkers only left or right, hazards all the lights.

As I don't have a chevy I dont know where the relay is, but it can't be far from the blinker relay as the hazards of course use the same wiring as the blinkers. If the relay isn't there at all, thats probably your problem.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1985,p30,7.4l+454cid+v8,1059218,electrical,flasher,10139

Jupp318

Many thanks Mlw, The 552 relay is indeed the flasher relay. Luckily I have a friend who is up to speed with this sort of stuff. I had emailled him a copy of the wiring diagram (I hope that isn't against any rules) and he asked me to see if the brake lights worked without turning the IGN key on. Well they didn't and after a phone call I was asked to check the fuses, as luck would have it the 2nd fuse I checked was blown. I replaced it and the flashers & brake lights now work. Unfortunately having vary-focal specs its difficult to read the printing on the fuse box but it was indeed the stp/haz fuse that had blown.
The last bit is to find a dodgy earth/ground at the front which hadn't shown itself before, as now when I use the turn indicators the correct one flashes without going out completely but the other lights dimly where it shouldn't light at all.
Mlw, If I can ever help you , I used to have a '74 D19 Brave on a M400 chassis (I think!) That was 9 years ago but I'm still in touch with the guy I sold it to.
Thanks Ian...

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Mlw

It are often the the simole things that are overlooked. A fuse.

Glad it was that simple.

I have the 1979 Minnie Winnie on the MB400 chassis and a lot has changed. Mine hasn't much suprises anymore for me as the PO of my RV ruined almost anything so  there are Gremlins coming out of every corner.  :-[

what i do need is a good address to send me a axle spindle nut socket of 2 1/2 inch. I don't use Amazon as i think they are one of the major reasons for the problems we are facing today.

Jupp318

Mlw,
Try this one from Summit racing, it's special order but not too expensive https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25243
Cheers Ian...

Mlw

Great! As I need camshaftbearings and pistonrings at well I can order all at once  :)ThmbUp