71 Winnebago D24C Chieftain Brakes/Disc Conversion?

Started by skwerlz, June 13, 2022, 08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skwerlz

Hello all.
I recently purchased a 71 Chieftain and the brakes are not leaking, but have no pressure whatsoever.

Given that I will likely be replacing master cylinder and potentially the booster, I am considering a disc conversion.

I am completely comfortable with mechanics, but am not a master. I have read a few threads on here, but am not positive I am getting it all, hence this post.
https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5196.0

I decided just to verify, I would post images of my RV and try to get some direct help from the community.

Based on the 71 Winnebago brochure, my RV is an M300 chassis.
I have verified it is the Dodge 413 with a 3 speed.

I have read that I should be looking for 78 Dodge B350 brake parts, but my searches on this seems to indicate there wasn't a B350 wasn't a thing until 1981 per this site https://www.allpar.com/threads/dodge-b-series-vans-sportsman-ram-van-ram-wagon-and-voyager.229476/

Any links to parts I can buy would be stellar, but just getting part numbers or proper acceptable replacements is fine as well.

My question here is, should I be looking for a 78 B300, or would an 80s B350 be the same?
Adding to this, I am assuming the booster is shot since I have no pressure/stopping when I push the brake pedal despite there being fluid in the Master reservoir.

When it comes to the disc conversion, I have read 1 ton D series may have what I need. Is this the case, or is there a better/easier to find option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

eXodus

Another option is to upgrade the brake booster to hydro boost.
The vacuum brake boost  where never really good.
Also get A master brake cylinder.

Drum brakes are not all bad when you supply them with enough pressure. Almost every Semi truck still has drums. They got plenty of stopping power.

More disc drum many around here got a new donor front axle to get it done.

Mlw

I'm deep into the brakes myself.

I guess it depends on the fact if you have duallys at the rear or not. I'm now busy looking for a complete restoration of my brake system. We have to keep in mind that our RV's are heavy bricks which need quit a bit of brake power to stop.

I'm now talking to Geoff of Alretta who really is an authorisation in this area and comes highly recommended at the forum. Talking to him about it you could read between the line he was not a fan of disc brake conversion.

I also have seen a dozen of video's about the brakes and also disc brake conversion. On thing was obvious, if disc brake conversion was done it was always on single wheel setups.

It was even mentioned on a website with disc brake conversion sets. "Sets are not available for dually's.

One other thing to consider. As brakes get better stopping power, they also create more friction and therefore heat and then heat fading can become an issue because discbrakes are not exempt from this phenomenon which is important driving in mountain rich areas.

I personally think that your own driving skills, keeping distance, look ahead and the speed you are driving with the RV is the most important thing to keep things
safe. Another thing to consider is that you also have to open your cabinets some time after an emergency stop with high power brakes  :D ???

On the other hand, I of course will keep an open mind to improvements to our brake system, so would love to hear the outcomings

skwerlz

Thanks for chiming in. Any info is appreciated.
My thoughts are that disc might be better if towing.

I'm hoping to do an engine swap at some point to a fuel injected modern engine and a 6 speed transmission.

I plan to travel quite a bit, so I want something that can handle a load up and down mountains if need be. If drum brakes are better for something like that, I'm all for simply upgrading what needs to be upgraded.

If I go disc, I would likely do vented at least, maybe slotted as well.
I plan to put a trailer brake system in as well.

Mostly I know right now I have no pressure what soever, so I want to get the current set up working g so I can learn how the rest of the mechanics are on the road before making any major improvements.

I need to confirm what booster/master I have via the pics I posted.

Any direction on what I can do to replace the current setup would be super helpful.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca