Sibir et230/2 12V heating element

Started by harwoodr, June 06, 2022, 05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harwoodr

So my RV has the above mentioned refrigerator... on AC or propane, it works like a charm.  On 12V - not so much.

I did a test yesterday.  I had the refrigerator off for several days and turned it on to 12V (as there is 12V as the supply on the back of the unit) and after about 6h the freezer was at about 6C (which I just looked up, and that's 42.8F) - so, not exactly performing well.

The area where the heating element is warm to the touch, but not uncomfortably so - would I be correct in assuming that said heating element may need replacing?  My google fu is failing me on finding a 12V element (no problem on the 110V element... figures).  Any tips or compatible part numbers would be appreciated.

Elandan2

I think you will find that the 12 volt element will not do a very good job of cooling the fridge. It is intended to keep a fridge cool after it has been brought down to temperature with another source.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

harwoodr

I found that it did a crap job of keeping it cool after it was already cooled down.  :D

Oz

Same here. I used LP primarily. Electric only when travelling.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

harwoodr

I'm gonna have to hook up the ohmmeter to the two heating elements... Assuming I remember my high school electrical (P=I*E and I=E/R) with P of equal wattage, E being 12V and 120V (for simplicity) R should be 10 times different between the heating elements.  'cause I would think you'd want the same heat regardless of voltage...

harwoodr

Yeah, the 12v element reads at a higher resistance than the 120v... which fully explains why it ain't working so well.  It's putting out a fraction of the heat that the 120v element is... which makes sense if the element has degraded over time (resistance going up).

Figures that I seem to be able to find replacement 12v elements for other refrigerators, but not the sibir - 120v, no problem.

Oz

Of course. It's always the one you need...  :(
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca