Heater core replacement in '78 Itasca

Started by harwoodr, May 30, 2022, 05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harwoodr

So I've tried to do my due diligence and search high and low for information on this... so mea culpa if I've missed something. :)

So, my dash heater core is leaking.  The dash heater looks pretty much identical to the one in this thread:  https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=8785.msg43358#msg43358

My reading seems to indicate that there _may_ be compatible replacements out there (but no links or part numbers) or that I may just have to get one of the local radiator places to do a re-core.  If anyone is aware of what might be a compatible replacement, I'd be very appreciative of the info.

Additionally, while I have manuals/diagrams for nearly everything else - I haven't a clue about the best way to remove just the core, as I'm hoping I don't have to take out the whole dash heater... any guidance out there?

Thanks in advance.

harwoodr

Okay, so having taken a little more time to dig around the heater... I discovered that the carpet covered panel simply lifts away to expose the hoses connected to the heater core... and the other end is secured by a bracket that is held in with two screws.... So, if I can find a replacement core, it should be an easy job (famous last words).

Mlw

a recone is a very good alternative for getting a new one.

What also could be a good solution is vintage air, and surely when you also would like to have chassis airco.

harwoodr

Calling a recore shop today...

The vintage air idea has merit, but may be a little ambitious for me at the moment.

harwoodr

First shop quoted me $400 CA (about $315 US)... seems a bit much.

There's a custom rad shop in Toronto... I'll reach out to them as well... but I may just start looking for "meh, it fits well enough"...

Mlw

yep, welcome to 2022 where the prices are steep and the service is  $@!#@!  ;)

harwoodr

Emailed vintageair.com asking if they had any recommendation for me - "Not something we offer and not sure who to refer you to."

I assume others have done this, so I'll search the forums.

Mlw

Yes, I know they don't offer a surefit series.

But they do have the builders series and as the whole kit probably is going to be smaller even with air conditioning chances are that you can build it in with some handywork.

I don't know how it is with you, but with me there is a very bulky chest mounted to the side of the engine bay that is removable by removing 4 screws, the waterlines and the 12 volt lines for the blower motor, and I know for sure one of their builder series is going to fit the space easily.

It then of course requires some handy work of yourself to fit it into your RV and this is exactly the reason why you get a response of vintage air like that. With the surefit series they can guarantee the fit, but with our RV's they can't so they want to lay the responsibility of the build understandably with you and rather not be bothered with it at all. I'm sure they've got their share of complaints of people buying without knowing what they were doing and then complaining it doesn't fit.

A good example of building in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMczB6Q695A

DaveVA78Chieftain

Think outside the box. Try googling bus heater core
[move][/move]

harwoodr

I have done that, actually, but I haven't really found anything that's a good fit.

harwoodr

Bypass is in and heater core is out... now I just need to find a replacement or find a place that recores for a reasonable price.

harwoodr

Ordered this today:

http://www.nwrvsupply.com/05-03/084-00305.html

It seems to be what a lot of other have used, and should fit the existing ports.  It's not quite as long or as wide, but I can make do.

harwoodr

Oh, and the nice people at Winnebago sent me this document just now...

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca